Instead of working today I played!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really need one of those...next time I am at the garden center, it is coming home with me!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted the bb in the barrels this afternoon. I mixed bark, peat moss and potting soil, equal parts. Mixed in some soil sulfur, fish bone meal, alfalfa meal and a small amount of Espoma acidic fertilizer.

They have their frost cloth blankies on tonight, it's clear right now and I think it will freeze. These little guys have been living in Oregon and aren't ready for an Idaho spring without something cozy on at night. I'm real happy about these, I'ma thinkin' we'll be eating blueberries again! :weee

Oh, and after eyeballing my little rectangular strip, I decided that I'm just going to have to make it bigger.
I told dh and asked him if he minded, and he just said of course not, it's less grass to mow! This from the guy who was reluctant to give up any grass to beds 11 years ago! Oh yeah... that's when I was doing all the mowing!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The half moon edgers I have had must really have been the cheap models. It is all I can do not to break them. Must have broken one, don't know what happened to it.

Dang right it's gonna freeze again tonight - at any but some downtown location. With any luck, we won't have last night's wind. We won't know how to behave if we really do have some warm days this week!

Wishing You the Best of Luck with those blueberries!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've bent up a few edgers myself. Then I
got my current one, which is super heavy duty, I think it's blade is stainless steel, and it has an ergonomic handle, which between you and me is no big deal.
But it is a tough little bugger, I've used it now for about 4 years and Steve, you know what kind of rocks we can run into around here!

It's made by Radius if anybody is interested.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, and after eyeballing my little rectangular strip, I decided that I'm just going to have to make it bigger.
I told dh and asked him if he minded, and he just said of course not, it's less grass to mow! This from the guy who was reluctant to give up any grass to beds 11 years ago! Oh yeah... that's when I was doing all the mowing!

Yep, playtime is over :D ... I would make it bigger too, and maybe stepping stones out to each barrel, and some low growing herbs and flowers planted all around them. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, playtime is over :D ... I would make it bigger too, and maybe stepping stones out to each barrel, and some low growing herbs and flowers planted all around them. :)

That would be lovely Lavender! How long will it take you to pack your trowel and get over here? :D

That was a dangerous thing to do you know- planting ideas like that in my head....and now I'm looking at it and the wheels are grinding...

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That would be lovely Lavender! How long will it take you to pack your trowel and get over here? :D

That was a dangerous thing to do you know- planting ideas like that in my head....and now I'm looking at it and the wheels are grinding...

:D ... oops, that's what happens when I see dirt.
OOO, I see creeping thyme, a low nepeta (Blue Wonder is superb!), a few clumps of lemon balm, some pretty basils or even peppers... maybe a splash of annuals - alyssum, yellow marigolds, mealy cup sage, or petunias sprawling around the barrels. :drool

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For everything one would want to know about blueberries ...google... Fall Creek Nursery in Oregon. They are the world's largest wholesale producer of blueberry plants. They have charts of blueberry varieties as well as instruction for how to plant and maintain them. :bow Last Thursday, I got a call from a nursery distributor that he just got in a couple truck loads of plants ( 3200 blueberry plants that he had on order for 2 years). I went right over and picked up my 3 "Chandler " ( 6' tall plants that produces quarter size berries and 3 " Duke" one of the leading commercial varieties. :ya All of the rest were already sold to growers and off they went. Currently there is a 2-3 year long waiting list for these 2 varieties. :idunno

Thanks for telling us about the fall creek nursery. :thumbsup I was planning on getting blueberries next year, because I wanted to research what types I would need to extend the growing and harvesting season as long as possible, provide large fruits, with high yields, and grow well in my area. I saw the comparison charts, printed them out, highlighted the most important information for me and five minutes later I had a first, second and third preferred pick for an early, mid, and late variety.:celebrate I think I will be doing blueberries this year.:celebrate Now if only somebody had a list like that for strawberries.
m00WYPdHs2nTq4v39e2AVsehcu-VMCUj_vdPxaniJbvNC9XboE_52inTTDWTAFkq7MWeXk0kb2VijYTAnHLWT3GaXhBaXEGd1fStlaK4U7Nc=s0-d-e1-ft

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wishin... a little birdie told me that the "Chandler" and " Duke" are in great demand . So much so that my supplier told me that there is now a 2 year waiting list for these blueberry varieties. If you can find eather of them grab them NOW or put in your order for them now.

Latest posts