1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sunflower issues - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

invasivory: (def) consumption of invasive species

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ducks4you, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Aug 20, 2019
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Maybe so, but it is not catching on very well. Chef’s love to brag about how they can take an old shoe and make it great...but yet never serve it in their restaurant....wonder why?

I have no doubts they are nutritious. They say the same thing about Kale..

ducks4you, flowerbug and thistlebloom like this.
  2. Aug 20, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Colonel Seedcorns Kale Stuffed Carp! I can see all the franchises springing up across the nation!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    so lucky, ducks4you and flowerbug like this.
  3. Aug 20, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

KSC, KSC! very katchy! :)

so lucky, ducks4you and thistlebloom like this.
  4. Aug 21, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    If you read the article they are becoming sparse in China, and the Chinese want to know what we are doing to make them flourish. It is the field runoff, that creates an algae bloom which they prefer to eat. SCARY that one made it past the locks and was caught on it's way to Lake Michigan!!!

5. Aug 21, 2019
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Ship the processed carp BACK to them..

ducks4you and Rhodie Ranch like this.
  6. Aug 21, 2019
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

If carp come from clean water they are good to eat, I ate some American carp from a pond that livestock had not been around for several months and occasionally we caught one at the Lake, which was clean water. But carp have a reputation of not preferring clean safe water if they have an option so they are not a preferred eating fish. Seed, I agree. Part of it is how it is cooked.

To me the best Redfish are no larger that 22 inches. The legal limit in Louisiana is five fish in a slot between 16" and 27" with only one over 27". If I catch a large one and hook it in a way I can't release it and expect it to live I'll boil it in crab boil and use the meat as fake crab. As far as I'm concerned its as good as the real thing and a lot easier to pick. Carp may have a different texture though, not sue how close to the real thing it would be.

We have an invasive animal down here, the nutria. It is a rodent that came from South America, breeds faster than the alligators can eat them, and do a lot of damage to levees and roads next to water by burrowing dens. Louisiana has tried to promote it as a meat animal. I've tried it at festivals as a novelty, it can be prepared really well. But it has never caught on at restaurants. I think that is because people just can't wrap their heads around eating a rodent. Squirrels are rodents, I grew up eating them so it's not a problem for me.

ducks4you and flowerbug like this.
  7. Aug 21, 2019
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

I think there is a small restaurant in Cape Girardeau that is specializing in Asian Carp. I haven't felt the need to search them out yet, but it's good to know someone is trying.

ducks4you and flowerbug like this.