invasivory: (def) consumption of invasive species

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS article didn't say so, but an article that I read by a chef some 8 years ago said that they were using Asian Carp for "imitation crab," and that they are a very nutritious fish.
Maybe so, but it is not catching on very well. Chef’s love to brag about how they can take an old shoe and make it great...but yet never serve it in their restaurant....wonder why?

I have no doubts they are nutritious. They say the same thing about Kale..

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you read the article they are becoming sparse in China, and the Chinese want to know what we are doing to make them flourish. It is the field runoff, that creates an algae bloom which they prefer to eat. SCARY that one made it past the locks and was caught on it's way to Lake Michigan!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS article didn't say so, but an article that I read by a chef some 8 years ago said that they were using Asian Carp for "imitation crab," and that they are a very nutritious fish.

If carp come from clean water they are good to eat, I ate some American carp from a pond that livestock had not been around for several months and occasionally we caught one at the Lake, which was clean water. But carp have a reputation of not preferring clean safe water if they have an option so they are not a preferred eating fish. Seed, I agree. Part of it is how it is cooked.

To me the best Redfish are no larger that 22 inches. The legal limit in Louisiana is five fish in a slot between 16" and 27" with only one over 27". If I catch a large one and hook it in a way I can't release it and expect it to live I'll boil it in crab boil and use the meat as fake crab. As far as I'm concerned its as good as the real thing and a lot easier to pick. Carp may have a different texture though, not sue how close to the real thing it would be.

We have an invasive animal down here, the nutria. It is a rodent that came from South America, breeds faster than the alligators can eat them, and do a lot of damage to levees and roads next to water by burrowing dens. Louisiana has tried to promote it as a meat animal. I've tried it at festivals as a novelty, it can be prepared really well. But it has never caught on at restaurants. I think that is because people just can't wrap their heads around eating a rodent. Squirrels are rodents, I grew up eating them so it's not a problem for me.

Latest posts