invasivory: (def) consumption of invasive species

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Asian Carp.jpg

I already knew about the Asian Carp and the efforts to prevent it's invasion of Lake Michigan, but it is nice to read that Louisiana enterprenuers are also practicing invasivory at their OWN restaurants.
In Berlin they are fighting and EATING the following invasive species from other continents:
Louisiana Crayfish
Procambarus clarkii, Louisiana crayfish.jpg

Chinese Mitten Crabs
Chinese Mitten Crab.jpg

and
Spiny Crawfish
Spinycreek Crawfish.jpg

https://modernfarmer.com/2019/08/ho...ail&utm_term=0_8b23c7adc9-ff3ebb826e-14142015
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-lake-michigan-asian-carp-20181205-story.html
True Human ingenuity.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is a big fish! I've watched videos of the Redneck Fishing Derby on the Illinois River, where the Asian carp literally fly into their boats... wouldn't want to get hit by that one. :th

In my yard, I battle invasive buckthorn - which is small in diameter for a bush/tree, but at least makes good fire wood. The birds spread the berries everywhere, there are literally thousands of seedlings.

Too bad there are no good uses for Japanese beetles, got plenty of those too this year. The hundreds caught by the traps are fertilizing one spot in the gravel driveway, the weeds are welcome to them.

Emerald Ash Borer is killing trees on the other side of the city from me now, just a matter of time before it wipes out the beautiful stand of ash that makes up most of my tree line. :( All but two of the beautiful American elms succumbed to Dutch elm disease five years ago, soon there will be nothing left but silver maple - and buckthorn.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m surprised someone hasn’t started a dog/cat food company marketing Asian carp. Ad logo could be, clean up our rivers while feeding no cereal food to your pet.....win win,

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m surprised someone hasn’t started a dog/cat food company marketing Asian carp. Ad logo could be, clean up our rivers while feeding no cereal food to your pet.....win win,

good fertilizer and an all natural plant food, just not easy to catch/process and then transport. water is heavy... i remember lugging some large northern pike back from the claypit as a kid, by about a half mile i was questioning my sanity (not really, i knew that was a bird that had long flown its coop :) )... still the roses appreciated them - but i never did it again.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have always wondered, "Why not just eat them?" But, I do not know if they are very edible.
THIS article didn't say so, but an article that I read by a chef some 8 years ago said that they were using Asian Carp for "imitation crab," and that they are a very nutritious fish.

Latest posts