Is anyone else stress gardening?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
To say the least, life has been strange for the last week or so. I went shopping Sunday (the last time I will go for some weeks) and had to visit 3 different stores to get things like milk, butter, and bread. (I found yeast at my local corner store, of all places.) Schools are shut, but also so is every kind of entertainment for two kids. On top of this, knowledge floods out of my son's brain like water through a strainer if he's not working, so letting him slack off for 6 weeks is not an option.

My work is over the internet, and it has picked up dramatically in that week. Everybody want an article written for their blog on covid-19. Everybody. EVERYBODY. They also all want express service which means sometimes I'm up till midnight getting them written, and then cleaning up the chaos of the house, and then tomorrow its back to 6 hours of education.

Today during 'recess' I potted up some tomato starts and got a new bed ready for peas. It was really pleasant to work in the dirt and know that no matter how crazy things get, there'll be a nice salad or a stir-fry in just a few months. Count on it.

IMG_2517.JPG

While potting up the tomatoes, my daughter shoved her way past me into the greenhouse. She's not allowed in there without me, but before I could fetch her out she emerged again with a vile of old seeds in each hand, and marched right back out into the yard. She went out to the old chicken coop, sat down, and started planting. I guess I'll let her do it. Maybe we all need a stress garden.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening is a great way to relieve stress-in many ways. Great to see young join in.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE that picture!!! My grandgirl loves to garden also and it warms my heart that she loves it naturally, like I always did.

No time for stress gardening, as I've got enough work here to do in the natural to keep me busy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live near an elementary school. It might be okay if I had more to do with them but, it's enuf to watch the kids out on the playground and walking to and from school.

I'm constantly looking at the seedlings. There isn't really much choice. The house isn't there natural environment, plastic container, window. Soon, they will be a little more "off on their own."

The moon is disappearing into the morning sky. That means, I have no moonlight for traipsing out to check on the plants when they are all in the greenhouse and it's freezing out! Water, transplant, water, heat, ventilate ... try to get away to work in the garden ... hurry back to close up the greenhouse, hoopies around the yard ... You sure that this is supposed to relieve stress!?

Well, there is always fantasy gardening. Walking down from the backdoor and stepping into a controlled environment filled with plants. Collecting just enough for dinner. Sitting around on the lawn under a tree and enjoying the robins looking for worms. Lilacs. Fruit on the trees and vines. Green beans on their teepees, melons ripened in the sun, ripe tomatoes hidden under their leaves, corn rustling with every breeze ...

Stevie

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you post pictures of your beautiful daughter, I just want you to know the love that flows from me to you is measured, overflowing and in abundance beyond measure. I love you and I am happy for your lovely family.

Gardening-last year's garden was a bust for us. This year has to be better. Going back to work has thrown a curve in there for me, but my husband has promised to keep it watered and feed animals. I have cases of empty jars and if I have to stay up all night between work shifts to get it canned, then that is what will have to happen. We have missed our garden produce. I am going to can more, instead of freezing so much, at least, that is the plan. Stocking up on jar lids!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad. :) I have really great kids. My son is also fantastic lest it sound like I'm complaining too much about having to do school work with him. He's actually really growing already and we've only done this 4 days.
ballwithbro.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad. :) I have really great kids. My son is also fantastic lest it sound like I'm complaining too much about having to do school work with him. He's actually really growing already and we've only done this 4 days.View attachment 34705
View attachment 34706

You have quite the gift for telling a story with photographs. I LOVE these pics!!! Your kids are precious....I just want to hug them tight.

Latest posts