Is It A Age Thing ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is funny I have grown my hair longer then I ever had, at least 2x a week woman have comment on it. I never thought I would think of coloring, my older brother went bald in his 30 I was happy to have hair and didnt care what color. Most of my life my hair was salt and pepper the salt is far out numbering the pepper now.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went through the color your hair thing when I was young, all my friends did, why, because we could....teenagers. When I was 16-17 I dyed my hair a deep auburn, my natural color ash blonde, people who didn't know me thought it was my natural color and I got quite a few compliments. The question I was often asked, who did you inherit your beautiful hair from, your mother or your father, if nothing else in those days I was truthful, my answer... out of a bottle :). That only lasted about a year, one of my grandfathers had been a carrot top when young so I guess I had the right skin tone to match the auburn hair. Makeup, you betcha, we all did, I shudder to think of all the stuff we plastered on our faces, it's a wonder our skin could breathe...teenagers. How many can remember those pansticks, maybe they still make them, I don't know.
My natural hair color, light ash blonde, it wasn't drab back then but in my 20's and 30's I used to get it frosted to liven it up a bit. In my forties and 50's stopped that and although I have very wavy hair started getting one of those wash and wear perms, the kids were out on their own in fact they had kids of their own. I was right into gardening and not into the hair thing, it was wash, let dry and then put a pick (comb to you guys) through it. It went well with dirty fingernails. If I was forced into going somewhere where I had to trade the jeans and T-shirt into something more girly, the fingernails got the straight bleach treatment.

When I started to go grey, late 50's this is when I started with the color to get rid of the dishwater color but I wasn't very good at keeping it up, looking in the mirror one day the skunk stripe (Bay's description, right on the money:thumbsup) was completely grey and I thought hey that looks pretty good so I hopped on down to the hairdresser and got her to take the color out. The dishwater color had changed to a nice grey and slowly over the years more white is showing up. I actually love the color of my hair now
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with older women coloring their hair, if it makes them feel good, go for it, my daughter does. Pick a color that goes with your complexion, if not close to your natural color, it's just not me.
What I find sad is to see women around my age with jet black hair and bright red lipstick,
As for the wrinkles, I earned every darn one of them and I've got lots, every one of them worn like a badge of honor.

Annette

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS'

My moustache started going grey in my 20's. At first just a couple and I would pull them out with tweezers. First thing you know it was 1/2 dozen. Motherhubbard that used to hurt. Then it got to the point it was more than I could pluck, so I dyed it.

I don't wear a stache anymore.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did make a pact with my self. lose 100 pounds have bags under eyes remove and face tightened a little. i have no problem with plastic surgery. Here many girls get nose jobs for 13 birthday

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having silver or grey hair is in style now. Some young girls are even coloring it that color. I stopped dyeing my hair a little over a year ago. It does age you but I decided that I wanted to embrace my age. Beauty is having confidence and I have that with my grey hair. Besides, I'm lucky that I have thick hair and the grey is a pretty color. It has streaks that I love.

As to the Mr. or Sir, it's better to have respect and look our age. Young people see something there so it's a good thing.

Mary

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My hair first started turning gray when all 4 of our children were teenagers, and were testing their limits. Just a little "worry gray" around the sideburns. The progression of the graying stopped when they all moved out - funny thing about that. :celebrateThe gray only recently resumed, it started with my beard (which is now almost completely white) and is gradually working its way upward. Late-graying hair runs on my father's side, it seems I've inherited that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my first gray hair, at age 25, i was talking to my sister at a family reunion and she reached over and pulled one of my hairs out and started laughing, i was age 25 and that was something close to 30 yrs ago. i had some scotch tape and stuck it to that and put it in my wallet. i don't know why. but i kept that single gray hair in my collection of desk crap for 29 years. last year i finally threw it away. i'm pretty much mostly gray now. high forehead syndrome, but still have most of my hair... amazing, considering how much i tear out. :)

"time's a thief and stole the show"...TMCK _Year's Gone By_

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad is 100 years old ... he still has some dark hair and a fair amount of it on his head. Mom was a "cosmetologist" and when she retired at 60, I remember how her hair suddenly went grey ;). I seem to have trended that way about the same age but I haven't lost much of it, probably thanks to Dad's genes. I wonder ... no, I doubt it ... ;)

@flowerbug , I ran into that irritating Hitachi ad that messes up TEG for my tablets looking for the meaning of "TMCK _Year's Gone By." I doubt if you meant anything about Hitachi but I came up with the name of a Japanese band ...

In 1961, it was Billy Walker who introduced this song, later to be popularized by Willie Nelson. Tunis Polsen painted the country scenes that, somehow, mean so much to me.

edit: oops! sorry about the audio on that

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts