It was like spring today

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had frost on the pumpkin and partly cloudy this morning... 3 hours later ... it is raining and forcasted to be in the mid 40's.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It did get to 40 degrees today -- cloudy and with the prospect of rainfall later today -- but still nice enough to play outside a bit.

I need to get some measurements and go to the lumber yard tomorrow -- if I can get my truck. Then I can get started on my mini-green house over two garden beds.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a VERY windy Friday with temps near 60! Then a nice weekend in the 50's. Already 2 weeks ago, when we had some of our coldest weather, I saw a Large Flock of robins. Today I am seeing red wing black birds and the resident swans are back to there place along the old highway, I pass them 2 times a day. It is so good to see them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear birds singing in the mornings again. I'm not sure if they have been here singing all winter or if they're back and looking for territory. It just may be that this fine taste of spring has us both up and outside in the morning now.

No robins here yet, although, they've been spotted nearby in South-est, central-est Wisconsin. It is time they show up.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine living where a lot of the birds leave for the winter. I would miss them terribly. Instead, I live where the birds migrate to for the winter, or at least pass through on their way further south.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, birds pass through here, too, on their way North in the spring and South in the fall. Birds are just too smart to stay around Wisconsin when there's no food for them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that you can't go by my hearing but ... I thought I heard a robin, last week.

Yeah! But, it wouldn't be too surprising if there are one or two around through the winter. I'm fairly sure that the bird I saw in, what was it, November and about 3 weeks ago - was a robin. He probably thinks he's pretty smart staking out the best territory when so very few are around. He will probably have a conniption fit when the flocks show up.

@baymule , we have birds that come out of the mountains to winter in the valleys. Then! There's that Dusky Grouse, that ascends to high-altitude spruce forests to spend the winter! There's food and protection ... perhaps, they are a species that's completely lost any proper sense of direction! Or, what was it that Greta Garbo said? "I want to be alone; I just want to be alone."

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not so much that birds leave, although some do, it's just that they don't sing in the winter. Singing is for courtship! :love

I have birds all winter long at the feeders. A lot of times it just my nuthatches and chickadees, but we also get Evening Grosbeaks and Crossbills in the winter. Downy, Hairy and Flicker woodpeckers come for the suet.
Someday I should make a list of the birds we watch at the feeders.

Latest posts