It was like spring today

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was just a week ago when one of my smaller chickens almost froze. It was in the single digits at night and not much better in the daytime. I found her sitting on icy snow and not moving much. He legs seemed like they were so close to being frozen. I brought her indoors for about 30 hours and when it warmed up put her back in her coup.I use an antibiotic on a sore spot on her foot. She seems to be doing well but she was so close to really being injured.
The husband and I cleaned our all 3 of the chicken houses and spread the litter where the corn will be planted. I spread lime on the manure. There was quite a bit as it was frozen solid for a good week. Glad for the thaw. I would love if the winner snow was done forgot, that is unlikely. It was so great to be able to do a bit of gardening.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad your little chicken is doing better Cat.

Our snow is all gone now, except for shady patches.
I got all 7 apple trees pruned, and quite a bit of the horse pen done. Did some other yard cleanup and almost got to moving the Jerusalem artichoke patch but decided I was getting a bit chilly after five hours outside and the fire and couch were calling me.
I'm so excited for spring now!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It never really felt like winter here. It got down in the 20's at night but it never was real cold for a long stretch. It's been in the high 70's during the day for weeks. I guess it will be a dry scorcher of a summer.

@catjac1975 I am glad your chicken didn't freeze and is doing ok. I hope your weather warms up.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tidied the coop today and did some minor maintenance while the birds played outside. Then two red-tailed hawks hunting together started circling overhead. Suddenly, everyone was quietly sitting in the coop so I shut the door for them.

I had started the lights at 15 hours about two weeks ago after leaving artificial lighting off this fall. I see that most of the combs are getting nicely red so I'm expecting egg production to be starting very soon.

When I moved last years chicks into the coop and the older layers into the garden shed one older bird eluded me. I couldn't tell the buckeye from the three younger RIRs. The coloring seemed to be identical.

Today in the sunshine it was easy to spot the buckeye's distinctive patterning along her back. Then I looked at the combs. Boy do I feel foolish! The Rhode Island Reds have traditional combs while the buckeye has a rose comb. Silly me, I'd never noticed that before.

No more hiding now. I put her back with the older chickens where she had been until about two weeks ago. My youngest bird -- hatched this fall and in with her momma -- immediately started attacking the buckeye. I guess she didn't remember Cindy as being part of that small flock since she's still a teenager herself.

Hopefully, the turmoil will be short-lived and everyone will settle back in.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just glad it got cold tonight, down to 25 and it feel like winter. I have been feeling like I am getting behind. I have had cabbage and kale outside in the sawhorse greenhouse, but I brought them in tonight and the winter sowing milk jugs. This is my last year to try this. I have no patience. I put them out and start looking at them all the time and it takes forever for them to sprout, so I just brought them in the house and I will put them in the sawhorse greenhouse later.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It got up to 72 here yesterday, sunny with a warm breeze. I got no gardening work done, but DH and I did take the dog for a walk at a Missouri Conservation Natural Area that my DH loves to stomp around in.
This morning, the breeze has strengthened and is from the north, so it won't be as pleasant today.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was nice yesterday here too. i pulled the big cube of seed starter out of my car & ran to the local feed store to stock up on chicken feed. they were having a truck load sale & i really needed to pick up more feed. so good timing on their part. took a little stroll down their aisles to see what new stuff they had for growing/bug sprays. took a look at the Neem oils to see what the difference in prices & types was. i may pick up some for this summer but not right now at the price they had on it. full strength was about $20 for the bottle.

i was tempted to get out to rake leaves since my iris have been trying to sprout through the brush covering them. i'm afraid if i do that we will have "6 more weeks of winter"! :confused: i need to get some cuttings & pruning done on my fruit trees. i's supposed to be another warm day in the mid 40's so good time to go traipsing through the muddy areas to see what is doing well & what needs to be observed/trimmed.

Latest posts