Reaction score
8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a very nice park, @Larisa . Thank you for the pictures.

I've just spent some time reading about the Eastern Gray Squirrel and it's invasive presence in Europe. I did my best, and the squirrel appears to be the native Red Squirrel - as it should be.

The eastern American squirrels showed up in this area of the continent and have noticeably spread in my lifetime. This invasive species is noted as one of the reasons that the population of native Western Gray Squirrel is in serious decline. It seems that one lives more comfortably with humans than the other. None of the other 2 tree squirrel species native to the Pacific Northwest are found in our cities, either.

My reading:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_grey_squirrels_in_Europe
indicates that these guys are even more of a problem in Europe because they spread a disease to the European tree squirrels. The disease isn't much of a problem for one but fatal to the other.

I bet you can point out other North American invasive species. It's disappointing to learn that our Black Locust trees are a problem there ... I want you to know that they don't belong in the western United States either ... yet, here they are!

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey girl good to see your photos. A client's son and daughter inlaw are teaching in Moscow. He told his father mass flower beds are being planted because of Russia hosting the Olympics. I think your parks are already amazing.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the pictures and history that you post. Beautiful!

Do any of the wedding locks ever get cut off to make room for more?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Quote DigitsS':
The family founder showed up in a colony populated by the British, not the Dutch and after the time when the Dutch colony of New Netherlands had become New York. Was this guy a Rip Van Winkle who had wandered off from a Hudson Valley town to the Chesapeake Bay? (To avoid the chores on his wife's to-do list ;)?)

Wasn't it New Amsterdam ???

Oh~I see~ You're right```

New Amsterdam
New Amsterdam was a 17th-century Dutch settlement established at the southern tip of Manhattan Island that served as the seat of the colonial government in New Netherland. The factorij became a settlement outside Fort Amsterdam. Wikipedia

Latest posts