It's difficult for me to believe ...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
596px-Gabrieleño_acorn_granary.jpg

You don't think that I am some kinda nut?

Above: acorn granary in what is now a suburb of Los Angeles.

I wonder why I have no idea how acorn flour tastes.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We ground acorns into flour in 3rd or 4th grade, but I'm pretty sure the acorns have to be cooked somewhere in the process to remove toxicity?

As an adult we had a friend who made acorn flour and gave us some. I have no distinct memory of it's flavor, but it must have been good or the memory would be negative. I also didn't die, so she must have done it correctly.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to live near LA, and I once went to the Chumash reserve where they had little holes dug into limestone for the purpose of grinding and leaching them. I actually don't remember how it was done, but it was interesting.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
596px-Gabrieleño_acorn_granary.jpg

You don't think that I am some kinda nut?

Above: acorn granary in what is now a suburb of Los Angeles.

I wonder why I have no idea how acorn flour tastes.

Steve
I wonder if you took that photo personally... :hide

Gardening is such a nurturing pastime, in so many ways. Good food, good exercise, and the joy of sharing something produced with your own hands. There is a sense of peace that comes over me when working in the garden, and through gardening I've met some really great people over the years. Couldn't imagine a year without fresh veggies, or without trying something new.

About those acorns. I've always wanted to make acorn flour... just never managed to muster up the motivation. Too much soft living, I guess. The cooked, ground acorn meats need to be treated with alkali (such as from wood ashes) or leached to neutralize the tannic acid. There's several "how to" videos on youtube. Several large oak trees are just down the street from me... I wouldn't even need to crack them open, just pick up the crushed ones off the street. As I said, too much soft living. :D

Latest posts