It's so ADORABLE!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always know it is summer- when all my spare time is spent squishing things! Just wait till Japanese Beetle time!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lesa, I already started on those darn JB.... they're munching down on my raspberries this year! :sick

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey at least yours are doing something! My watermelons are stuck in idle. Weather's just been too cool for them and no time to build anything to help them warm up either. I'm just glad I only planted 6 of them in case they don't do anything this year.

What variety is that? I LOVE fresh watermelon out of the garden trust me the neighbors will be liking you. Ive yet to meet someone who turns down watermelons out of the garden.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I honestly couldn't tell you what kind of watermelon it is. Hubs bought a giant pack of misc heirloom seeds and all it said was "watermelon" :lol:

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Mattemma said:
Very nice! Hope nothing eats it.
I'm already freaked out that something is going to demolish my garden over night... and we do have an infestation of bean leaf beetles... please don't make me sleep in my garden! :gig
You can sprinkle food grade diamatious earth on your plants with beetle problemsI have found it to be a great beetle killer and it is safe for every thing else...you have to reapply it if it rains after the plants dry but it is cost effective...

good luck with you melon

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can find DE at garden centers and health food stores. Make sure you're buying FOOD GRADE DE. The stuff that is made for pool filters would be poisonous. I was able to get a small local health food store to order some in for me, a 50# bag cost me under $20. You'll find it is much more expensive in smaller quantities, but probably better to start small and see how you like the results.

Here's a site with more info on DE.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your garden is fenced, I wouldn't worry too much about watermelon. I never had anything bother it...

Latest posts