January weather data

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope it is okay with GWR for me to quote her post over here. I hope it's okay with @journey11 for us to talk about local conditions and current weather ...

:hit:hitAt the moment it is 12 degrees and feels like -2.

It's 16°f right now and snowing hard! It was 18° when I got up and not snowing ... I thought it was supposed to warm with a snow storm showing up ... But, anyway, we are supposed to have warming sometime this weekend. Then! It won't even freeze over a couple of nights with the last of the storm coming through. I wonder what driving conditions are right now ... let's see ... there's 1/2 mile of visibility at the airport. DD won't be flying back for me to pick her up until Tuesday. She's on the Gulf Coast right now! Wow. What do you suppose that's like?

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is now snowing. It will get to above freezing tomorrow and either rain or snow. I am looking at the electric bill sitting in front of me and it is up $82 from last month and is now a grand total of $276.24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last winter people tried to figure out why our bill is higher than other people we know. This is without any gas and we burn wood for heat. There is an electric wall heater in the office and a heater in the bathroom. The rest of the house does not have any heaters and is heated by the wood. We have 2 freezers in the garage and a small one in the house. I think our refrigerator is too close to the woodstove and is running harder than it should and we should get one freezer emptied and turned off, and this winter so cold and the rabbits are getting older and one kind of sickly one and I had a couple of heatlamps for last month, but turned one off the other hutch. They are all healthy and can take it. I will be turning on the greenhouse lights soon. I guess we need a woodstove in the office and turn off this bathroom heater and office heat. We should also invest in some new windows for this office. We spend most of our time back here since I work from a computer and homeschool, but DS is a senior and that will end in May.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We burn mostly wood because we like the constant heat but have oil for a backup. This has been a cold winter and we used most of our winter's supply of wood. Instead of having it burning all day we've been starting the fire in the afternoon, burning it into the wee hours. The oil tank was getting down so we had a delivery yesterday $820. We usually only have one fill up a year in June so it's going to cost a little more this year. We usually go through 3 cords of wood per winter, we didn't have to buy any last year DS2 was clearing a part of his property so brought us a winter's supply. If we have to buy wood the going rate is $160 a cord. It's snowing again after two snowless winters, not liking it very much:(.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most recent heat and light bill: $163. Last year at this time: $136.

Natural gas, forced air heat and this is a small house. Electric would be expensive even in this area with its cheap hydro power.

Doors, doors, doors ... even if they are blanket doors ;)! I close the heat registers when I do that 30 minutes of walking exercise in one-half of the house. Forgot to open the one in the bedroom last night. It was okay, pulling heat through 2 open doors.

Closed the doors this morning. Oops! Cold in there when I went back in to change out of my bathrobe!

However, that is exactly what I do if the outdoors drops below 10 degrees. Well, I don't close off the bedroom heat during the night but ... during the day, that room can be the same 60° it is overnight. Even colder, and that is true with half the house.

I'll even cover the passage between the living room and the kitchen during the coldest weather. The kitchen doesn't have to be 68° although it may be considerably warmer when we are cooking. That blanket (actually it is a pretty sheer piece of fabric) is more important to put up in the heat of summer. The AC is in a living room window. That little thing cannot cool the entire house. We can even take our meals into the living room.

Two freezers in the garage and a fridge in the carport - I doubt if they are working very hard lately. Oh, one is empty and off.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We burn mostly wood because we like the constant heat but have oil for a backup. This has been a cold winter and we used most of our winter's supply of wood. Instead of having it burning all day we've been starting the fire in the afternoon, burning it into the wee hours. The oil tank was getting down so we had a delivery yesterday $820. We usually only have one fill up a year in June so it's going to cost a little more this year. We usually go through 3 cords of wood per winter, we didn't have to buy any last year DS2 was clearing a part of his property so brought us a winter's supply. If we have to buy wood the going rate is $160 a cord. It's snowing again after two snowless winters, not liking it very much:(.

Annette

Oh my! We always got our own wood, but since DH has been sick, the pastor of our church and some of the men cut wood for us and even split the last rounds DH had before his hospital adventure. We will make it through until spring. It is still snowing, but going to get into the 30s tomorrow.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess this should be another post instead of January weather, but Feb. weather. There is at least 8 inches of new snow and still snowing and all on top of the other frozen mess we already had. It is going to get warmer and start to rain, but what a mess.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we wait for someone to start a "February Weather" thread, and I'm too exhausted from shoveling snow to do that o_O, I'm going to agree with that Wolf in @Carol Dee 's garden humor post - If I find a Groundhog out there ..

. I'm eating him!

How do you suppose @thistlebloom 's doing? Even if she hasn't entangled any outdoor cables in her snow blower, she must be just about full-time engaged in critter care.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we wait for someone to start a "February Weather" thread, and I'm too exhausted from shoveling snow to do that o_O, I'm going to agree with that Wolf in @Carol Dee 's garden humor post - If I find a Groundhog out there ..

. I'm eating him!

How do you suppose @thistlebloom 's doing? Even if she hasn't entangled any outdoor cables in her snow blower, she must be just about full-time engaged in critter care.

Steve

I wonder if the roof of thistlebloom's house can be seen?

Latest posts