Journey11's 2016 garden journal

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turkey update! They're 45 weeks old. They're big enough, but it's too hot for butchering right now. I really like having them around, just to look at them. I'd like to keep at least one if DH can handle the gobbling. It's hard to talk over top of them, they're so loud. They've been calling in wild turkeys from the surrounding woods all spring!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aw, I was hoping for pictures, but I can't see the videos. You know one turkey would be lonely. That means keeping two if you have male and female. If they're all males, a goose or duck will be just as good company for one turkey. My Sister-in-law has just the one with an aging duck.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aw, I was hoping for pictures, but I can't see the videos. You know one turkey would be lonely. That means keeping two if you have male and female. If they're all males, a goose or duck will be just as good company for one turkey. My Sister-in-law has just the one with an aging duck.
I changed the settings from unlisted to public. Let me know if that helps! Here's a couple pics too...
20160611_195024.jpg
20160611_194951.jpg

The big one struts all the time, so his little brother has picked at his tail feathers. :p They do this funny little hiss and stomp routine too. Turkeys are really amusing. I've been keeping an eye out for anyone selling Bourbon Reds around here because I'd love to have a trio of hens to go with them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are nice looking turkeys Journey and I don't even know anything about turkeys! :D Do you only have the one pair?

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are nice looking turkeys Journey and I don't even know anything about turkeys! :D Do you only have the one pair?

Mary

Yeah, I bought 6 poults, but 4 promptly died. :( Turns out turkeys aren't quite as smart as chickens. They didn't eat or drink enough. They say to put a chick in with them at first to teach them how.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was able to see the video. Nice looking birds. The Iowa Blue chickens DH brought home from a co-worker are getting big enough the roosters are starting to crow! oh-oh Time to rehome the roosters.

Latest posts