Journey11's 2016 garden journal

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was able to see the video. Nice looking birds. The Iowa Blue chickens DH brought home from a co-worker are getting big enough the roosters are starting to crow! oh-oh Time to rehome the roosters.

That's a breed I hadn't heard of, so I looked them up. Handsome roos! Can you tell me a little more about them? Are they good layers?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, have your toms never gone after you? I remember being chase and flailed by a neighbors pet tom when I was a teenager. Man I hated that turkey!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't abide a mean animal. That's what pens are for. I 'cured' my roos of attacking. Not sure if it would work with a turkey unless it was done as the tom grew.

Then again, I've heard that turkeys are stupid. Always figured they were talking domesticated white birds. Somehow the heirloom breeds managed to survive and thrive.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of, although maybe it helps that they have no hens to protect.

My two EE roos have been gentle so far. My prior experience with roos is that they don't make it much past breeding season in the spring. These 2 will need their spurs trimmed soon.

I have had kids ruin roos and make them mean too. Neighbor kids have been squawking at the turkeys, so that's probably not good. Although I might do well to keep them as guard turkeys. :pHave had some trouble with a 6 year old who argues with me when I ask her to go on home. o_O

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would drive me insane, a 6 year old talking back in my yard.

Yep, they've just about put me out of my mind. I've not been letting them come over to play with the kids much, so they seem to have backed off for now. One day they all went in my house while I was out working in the yard. She says her father says it is ok for her to go in my house. I said, "but I say it's not ok! It's my house!" Dad dumps them off with Grandma. Grandma lets them run the neighborhood like feral cats. I doubt I'd have @thistlebloom 's patience to try to teach these kids anything. :th

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, I would be tempted to let them play with something that would let the grandma and dad know they were someplace they shouldn't have been. Like permanent markers, or spray paint.
Sort of like my idea of using a paint ball gun to mark dogs that get in my yard. Only I wouldn't use a paint ball gun on kids. Not up close, anyway.:D

Latest posts