Journey11's 2016 garden journal

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's wonderful news Journey. Your garden is looking pretty good if I do say so myself. :) Everything looks nice and tidy. So glad you are having gardening time and enjoying yourself. You deserve it. Hope you go fishing too.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I figured out something about potatoes this year... I had a bunch of last summer's wrinkly spuds that I hauled out of the basement in February and left out back in the wheelbarrow and they froze and thawed a couple times, even got snowed on too. Well, I dumped them in the compost pile and after I turned it this spring they cane up and grew like crazy! I couldn't believe it. I was really excited to think I'd get something for nothing. About the time they started blooming along come the Colorado potato beetles (this was a couple weeks ago). The kids have been doing yard work to earn money for the carnival, so I paid them 50 cents each to pick them off and drown them. DH comes home a little later and weed whacks them down! I still had to pay the kids, lol. All the times he has helped me dig potatoes, I can't believe he thought they were weeds. :\ Anyhow, dug these new potatoes from the compost pile today.
20160630_215351.jpg

This cutie is my 13-month-old niece hugging one of her new kittens. Had to share. :) Told my sister I HAVE to have an 8x10 of this for the wall. She is just the sweetest natured baby ever, my little buddy. :love
FB_IMG_1467338451588.jpg

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess it's too late for those whacked potatoes to come back? Are those all of the potatoes from the compost or do you still have more there?

Sweet baby girl.:)

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved going to carnival as a kid, still do went to one last weekend

The kids are going tonight, earned about $5 each, which won't go far, but I guess that could be part of the lesson learned. DH will make sure they have a good time. I'm staying home and enjoying the peace and quiet! Hope they bring me a funnel cake. :)

I guess it's too late for those whacked potatoes to come back? Are those all of the potatoes from the compost or do you still have more there?

Sweet baby girl.:)

Mary

That's what I was hoping, but they never did regenerate. There's probably a few more out there, but I got tired of turning the pile. That stuff is ready to use! Got a lot of large pieces of bark to sift out of it though, also DH's doing. He just doesn't understand these things, but I appreciate that he tries. ;)

We joke about it being the duality of our relationship: I nurture, he destroys.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow your gardens looks so wonderful.. no weeds in sight better than here.. keep up the excellent work :thumbsup

For now at least! Days upon days of rain in the forecast for next week. DH has vacation...which would figure.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
you got rain too..how about that so due we.. while gone the whole time up in conover the dw had to water every day, since i have been home have only needed to water 2 days.. and like you mentioned more days of rain coming.....

Latest posts