Journey11's 2016 garden journal

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 4th is supposed to be a total washout. Bummer! :( Also Ava came down with a fever and cough last night. Really thought we were past all that. We caught everything this year. :\

At least the floodwaters have gone down. Hopefully this won't amount to so much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We so often have the danger of fire here that the Fourth seems considerably less a fireworks celebration than once. It could be that I have just changed where I tend to hang out on the Fourth. Having dogs that panicked and needed company may have helped with that change in habits.

Wind gusts to 30mph, hot & dry, and we have the "red flag" warnings, today.

I was just reading that 100 years ago, tetanus outbreaks and Independence day celebrations came to associated. It was probably just coincidence but the medical people tried to tie them together with the public. The result was lower incidents of gunshot wounds and injuries from fireworks. That mistake in science was probably a very good thing.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always hope for rain around July 4.I hate this Holiday. Have a kennel full of stressed out dgs.

I bet! My ol' dog has been so much calmer since she lost most of her hearing a couple years ago. Same with thunder...she would come up the stairs and wake me up with her toenails clicking on the wood floor as she paced beside my bed. The floor would be wet with drool. Now she never knows it stormed unless it the thunder is loud enough to vibrate through the house. I trained her as a pup to respond to hand signals with each command, so I can still get her to come, sit and stay, etc. if she's looking at me. Although at her age, I make few demands now.

I can't imagine having that multiplied by like 20. I bet they all feed off each other's fear too.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We so often have the danger of fire here that the Fourth seems considerably less a fireworks celebration than once. It could be that I have just changed where I tend to hang out on the Fourth. Having dogs that panicked and needed company may have helped with that change in habits.

Wind gusts to 30mph, hot & dry, and we have the "red flag" warnings, today.

I was just reading that 100 years ago, tetanus outbreaks and Independence day celebrations came to associated. It was probably just coincidence but the medical people tried to tie them together with the public. The result was lower incidents of gunshot wounds and injuries from fireworks. That mistake in science was probably a very good thing.

Steve

Sure some places are way too dry to enjoy fireworks. Don't need any stray sparks. :confused:

That is interesting, particularly that the concern was tetanus and not some other communicable disease that would spread through crowds. I guess they assumed there were more flesh wounds? I'm not sure how else you get it. I was always told dog bites and punctures from rusty nails. Being a "farm girl", I make sure my vaccination is up to date.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was probably much more common, Journey. What is it I remember about sharing the infection with/from horses?

They just didn't know why human tetanus showed up with such high numbers in early July. Perhaps the wounds but there were even ideas about the smoke from gun powder.

We were still a decade or so from the discovery of penicillin or any antibiotic.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dog hear fireworks and are looking for the downed bird so he can go fetch it.

Friend had a thunderstorm phobia/fireworks hating dog, it was awful. Crate would get moved to the basement and they'd turn on a radio station that would play that smooth jazz, and just crank it up. No lyrics just Kenny G type music to hopefully drown out the scary sounds. It helped but he still always had a long night ahead of him on the 4th.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dry woods and wind unfortunately won't keep a lot of my neighbors from setting off fireworks. They have been warming up all week. :rolleyes:
It makes for restless sleep, I wake up often and check for the odor of smoke...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neighbors set off fireworks last night. The sheep were terrified and ran, the 2 Pyrs were bonkers. Paris hid in her doghouse, Trip huddled up out in the woods.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
At our PNW town, quite a few neighbors started to set off fire works and gun shots starting on the first of July. Yesterday , the whole town lit up like World War 3 :thumbsup I called my sister in Los Angeles for her to listen to the sounds of Independence Day. All they are alowed to set off are sparklers in her area. SAD ! :hit

Latest posts