Joy in the Little Things

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My tapioca/ sago pudding
I'm afraid the mice may have helped their selve. It seems too have shrank a little :\:pop
20221105_140730.jpg

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just placed an order for my spring seed potatoes. It is more than I currently need for my setup, but I have changed how I look at food.

It feels good to know that next year will be full of potatoes. I also might switch to a fall planting, depending on how my wintered potato plants do. They are covered, and the tops have already died back. If they go, then yay! If they don't, then...well, I tried.

I aim to have a self-sustaining system because I am tired of going to the store and not finding staples in supply. This is one small step toward the future I want.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tapioca/ sago pudding
I'm afraid the mice may have helped their selve. It seems too have shrank a little :\:pop
View attachment 53198

i looks ok to me, i've been using the Kraft brand Minute Tapioca and the basic recipe on the box, but i've adjusted it to my tastes and i never make a single batch as i can easily eat a pint a day. i don't like it super sweet so i cut back on the sugar and i really like vanilla so i add extra of that. i also make it in the microwave so that is different than using a pan on the stovetop. when i get it done and cooled i put it in jars and put it in the fridge.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just placed an order for my spring seed potatoes. It is more than I currently need for my setup, but I have changed how I look at food.

It feels good to know that next year will be full of potatoes. I also might switch to a fall planting, depending on how my wintered potato plants do. They are covered, and the tops have already died back. If they go, then yay! If they don't, then...well, I tried.

I aim to have a self-sustaining system because I am tired of going to the store and not finding staples in supply. This is one small step toward the future I want.
Actually, thinking back on what I planted this year, it may be too little. 😵

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i looks ok to me, i've been using the Kraft brand Minute Tapioca and the basic recipe on the box, but i've adjusted it to my tastes and i never make a single batch as i can easily eat a pint a day. i don't like it super sweet so i cut back on the sugar and i really like vanilla so i add extra of that. i also make it in the microwave so that is different than using a pan on the stovetop. when i get it done and cooled i put it in jars and put it in the fridge.
I bought vanilla pods and I really want to soak them in vodka because that lasts for years.

This guy wrote a recipe on his vanilla method but it read more like an alcoholics fantasy too me, rum brandy and vodka. I had an hangover just reading it.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to say, this tasted really nice. I bought sago at our local market but it didn't taste as good as this. Nevertheless I've ordered the large tapioca too. With all the water in it, it can't be to bad .

Apparently it is good for high blood pressure so that's another plus

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, thinking back on what I planted this year, it may be too little. 😵
What might that mean?

I usually buy 5-7 pounds of seed potatoes. It depends on what varieties are available at one or the other garden center and enthusiasm ;).

Horticulturists tell us that it matters very little how large the cut seed is as long as there is at least one viable eye. This has to be within reason, however. But, you don't want too many eyes growing resulting in crowding and smaller potatoes.

Then, somewhere between 160 and 200 square feet of ground is planted - double rows, 4' wide bed, plenty of room.

Potatoes don't keep all that well in my basement storage room and they begin to have problems about the first of February. One reason is that we like new potatoes and early varieties. Even the ones left to full die-back are harvested by about the first week of September. It's okay, the two of us are happy and have plenty from the garden for 6 months out of the year. Realize that despite the location between two major potato growing regions the soil here especially is NOT well suited for potato growing but they can certainly do okay.

Steve

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What might that mean?

I usually buy 5-7 pounds of seed potatoes. It depends on what varieties are available at one or the other garden center and enthusiasm ;).

Horticulturists tell us that it matters very little how large the cut seed is as long as there is at least one viable eye. This has to be within reason, however. But, you don't want too many eyes growing resulting in crowding and smaller potatoes.

Then, somewhere between 160 and 200 square feet of ground is planted - double rows, 4' wide bed, plenty of room.

Potatoes don't keep all that well in my basement storage room and they begin to have problems about the first of February. One reason is that we like new potatoes and early varieties. Even the ones left to full die-back are harvested by about the first week of September. It's okay, the two of us are happy and have plenty from the garden for 6 months out of the year. Realize that despite the location between two major potato growing regions the soil here especially is NOT well suited for potato growing but they can certainly do okay.

Steve
I planted at least 5 pounds this last year. I was planning on planting more this year. Of course, the batch I got this year from my local ag store was poor. I was not pleased with their look or how they grew.

I got a second batch from the local Shipton's and they went nuts. They had plenty of eyes for planting too. the other batch had potatoes that had maybe three eyes a piece. They also didn't look healthy, so we will see what comes.

I am working on changing how I plant next year to have it mostly be staples such as potatoes, onions, beans, and peas with small patches of kale, spinach, romaine, and broccoli. The beans and peas I was able to keep going all spring/summer and into the fall. I want the most from the garden.

Hopefully, my husband and I can get our cellar down next year, but it is looking slim with the early snow we are getting. I am guessing our pole barn/garage is going to need to be finished next year.

Jane23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got a bunch of leaves raked up one year, mixed in horse manure and lime. Let it set over the winter and planted potatoes in it. That pile grew the biggest and prettiest potatoes I ever grew!
I have all that here except leaves. Now I need some leaves! (ponderosa pine and juniper out here)

Latest posts