Joy in the Little Things

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Winter is the time that I stay indoors the most and spend much more time with the cats.
22-12-09-09-50-37-375_deco.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps it is best that the northern and southern hemispheres are so far apart, Phaedra. But, I think that I could find a balance migrating between them.

It would need to be maintaining my far north location so that not too much could be happening in a southern location garden while the harvest and Fall chores would still be required "up north." Then hurrying south to arrive just as the growing season tasks commence. 6 months/6 months, here/there

;) Replacing growing season activities with moving snow around, as I will need to do for the next several days, is not the fair trade that I would prefer. It's comfortable indoors, thankfully. I'm content not to have an outdoor job nor a stale indoor job these days of retirement. Windows on a bright Winter landscape - that is very much appreciated.

even - level, evening - leveling, eve - before, evening - light before dark, even steven

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have never backed up a bumper hitch, which is what I think @baymule has, backing it up is an exercise in great frustration. Even a gooseneck is difficult.
If you ever rent a UHaul you will understand.
Yes, my trailer is a 16’ stock trailer, bumper hitch. And I have a 18’ flatbed. My husband was perfect with the trailers, so I let him shine and bragged on his abilities. Why would I mess with perfection? Then he was gone and I had to learn how.

Backing the truck to that exact 2-3 inch spot to drop the hitch on the ball on the bumper took me almost an hour the first time. I wore myself out getting out of the truck, walking to the back, only to find I missed it again, getting back in the truck, and trying again. It only took me 15 minutes to back it where I wanted it, lining up the sliding back gate with the loading chute. Victory.

Then I discovered magnetic telescoping thingys with green tennis balls on top. Put one on the hitch and one right behind the ball on the bumper and back up until they touch. Works every time. I’m getting better at backing the trailer up, but always turn the steering wheel the wrong way to start with. Every. Time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps it is best that the northern and southern hemispheres are so far apart, Phaedra. But, I think that I could find a balance migrating between them.

It would need to be maintaining my far north location so that not too much could be happening in a southern location garden while the harvest and Fall chores would still be required "up north." Then hurrying south to arrive just as the growing season tasks commence. 6 months/6 months, here/there

;) Replacing growing season activities with moving snow around, as I will need to do for the next several days, is not the fair trade that I would prefer. It's comfortable indoors, thankfully. I'm content not to have an outdoor job nor a stale indoor job these days of retirement. Windows on a bright Winter landscape - that is very much appreciated.

even - level, evening - leveling, eve - before, evening - light before dark, even steven

i also enjoy my patio doors view of the winter whirled... :)

as for a job that has become stale, i vacated mine and moved on to travel for several years and eventually ended up back pretty much where i started but the trips were interesting and i did see quite a bit. no idea of getting into the library job but that happened eventually and it was not stale or a problem until the new manager arrived and then after three years of struggles with them i quit that too (as a side job for a while i worked full time for another local business but that became too much and i had to quit because i would rather work part-time and not 60hr weeks).

for keeping the brain not so stale i putter with computer stuff during the winter and try to learn some new things. this year i'm poking at some old accounts and the brokerage is transferring to a new company so before that happens i want to make sure i can get all my historical stuff squared away. one question i want to answer is how much money i've taken out of the accounts vs. what i deposited so i can figure my acutual ROI v.s. inflation and other details (how much did i spend on rent vs. other expenses). all simple things to answer had i ever gone through this data crunching before, but ...

back to the view... today i look out and i can see the spot of the last garden i got done and from this angle it amounts to one inch of view for those 40ft, but when out there it took about 8hrs to accomplish.

snow shovelling is enjoyable with the right scarfs...

DSC_20220125_163407-0500_1276_Scarfs_thm.jpg

one scarf works for normal weather, extreme weather i use both. happy lungs to not breathe in frozen air. they are round, so there are no dangling ends to get in the way of other things.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Backing a trailer you own. Once you get it right, notice in your driver's side mirror, a spot on the trailer that lines up with a spot on your truck - for me it was the front edge of the smaller dent & the lower edge of the tail light... OR, if nothing lines up, have someone help you swipe a spot of spray paint or something. Then, once you know you're close, you can line up those 2 spots and get it on the first try (almost) every time!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , I use a flannel mask, 2 layers. Scarf is for teens or single digitS'. We will likely get there but it warms up with each snowstorm. Yesterday afternoon, some was melting and it's now a crust. Backsteps were a mess - shovel off one step, sprinkle step with salt, step down on that step, clean the next, sprinkle, step ...

I can’t have the reading glasses on but I ain’t reading out there. DW made so many masks in 2020, I have no need to do anything but drop them in the dirty clothes hamper when I come in from puffing and blowing. Need to return to the task to clear the path to the garage so as to bring out the snowblower if there’s a need as predicted with 5” of snow for tonight.

I have the seed catalogs and have finished my second breakfast :). There’s no need to walk the Indoor Mile today. That alone makes me appreciate the snow :D. Better get started on those Christmas letters!

Steve