Joy in the Little Things

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How do you separate them?
Hi Bay, some I don't separate them - they can grow nicely in clumps; and for the ones I have to separate, I used this method (a video link starting from pricking out, but the entire video is pretty informative.)

It's easier to separate the seedlings when they have just cotyledons and a tiny root. I usually prick them out within 2-3 days after germination. This method (using small trays to germinate seeds and then moving strong seedlings into module trays) can save space and also rule out weak seedlings. The seedlings growing up in the module trays would have a more even development.

2926.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna bookmark that and watch it all !

But, I can't do the cotyledon transplant thing. No, the risk of fumbling around with such tiny & weak seedlings with my big, awkward digitS' is too great! And, remember that the stem is nearly always singular and must be protected.

My approach: If you have the room. Give them enuf room and wait for first leaves - then, do your best to handle only the cotyledon when moving them, limit root damage as best as you can. If they are tiny/tiny seedlings at any stage, have DW move them. :D. No reason to be silly about the risk.

digitS'
Many Roots, Few Leaves, One Stem

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i simply plant extra and then trim the extras without disturbing anything else. since i'm rarely doing seed starting these days indoors i'm not having to contend with this issue as much as i used to.

beets were always the notorius plants for having too many sprouts in a small space, but in recent times the seed companies have been chopping the beet seeds more and not as many are coming up. i still would thin as needed. beet sprouts are yummy. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

But, I can't do the cotyledon transplant thing. No, the risk of fumbling around with such tiny & weak seedlings with my big, awkward digitS' is too great! And, remember that the stem is nearly always singular and must be protected.

My approach: If you have the room. Give them enuf room and wait for first leaves - then, do your best to handle only the cotyledon when moving them, limit root damage as best as you can. If they are tiny/tiny seedlings at any stage, have DW move them. :D. No reason to be silly about the risk.

digitS'
Hi Steve, it's also fine to wait a bit. Personally, I tried this method (with seedlings that have only cotyledons) by holding the leaves instead of the fragile stems). The longer they stay in the seeding tray (where they germinate together, not in the individual cells), it's easier for their roots to tangle with each other.

Sowing directly into module trays or soil could save some trouble. Each method has pros and cons. The best thing is we don't have to choose. We can take whatever delivers the most. :D

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

digitS'
You might find the Burgon and Ball Seedling Widger handy. I think Johnny's carries one that is the same or similar but more expensive.

Last edited:

Latest posts