Joy in the Little Things

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are going to do so fantastic with your shop!
I would have never thought to simmer the shrimp heads and shells in oil or water either, for that matter.
Do you give the shells to your hens? Once when I only had a few hens, I doled out shrimp shells daily to them. The texture of the yolks changed to a creamy texture when boiled and the yolks had faint pink swirls from the shrimp shells.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use the water from boiling lobsters to water garden plants (after it has cooled of course!) and sometimes use it first to cook noodles for lobster linguini.

It's local Long Trail Ale here at my house. I like an amber or red beer. Then there are local mead breweries that I also patronise. I drink too much, but c'est la vie.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use the water from boiling lobsters to water garden plants (after it has cooled of course!) and sometimes use it first to cook noodles for lobster linguini.

It's local Long Trail Ale here at my house. I like an amber or red beer. Then there are local mead breweries that I also patronise. I drink too much, but c'est la vie.
I like to use the water from the sea to cook my freshly caught dungeness crab!

Have you ever made your own beer? I've made homemade wines, mead, and hard cider.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever made your own beer? I've made homemade wines, mead, and hard cider.
Beer & Wine. @Pulsegleaner is our Mead Maker.

When Dad turned 70, I bought him a beer making kit. We went in on to something of a partnership. I bought the ingredients from the beer store and he did clean-up ;). About the time he turned 75, he said that he wasn't gonna do anymore bottle washing ssoooo, I brought the equipment home and, in typical digitS' fashion, tried the simplest beer recipe that I could come up with. So much for motivation. After I dumped out the results ... I took the equipment back to Dad :oops:.

I had made wine from very early days. It quickly evolved, in typical digitS' fashion, to a search for what I could make from the garden. I was patient ... about every Winter for 25 years ±, I made a batch or so of wine. Simplify/Simplify ... the final product was rice & golden raisins and it was GOOD! However, I grew neither rice nor grapes and what I could buy at the store was better ... & I had failed to find something that I could grow that I was happy with at 10%+ alcohol content. (Maybe I shoulda gone ahead and grown barley and become a maltster ;).)

Steve
BTW - nobody bought me a beer making kit when I turned 70 :old!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are going to do so fantastic with your shop!
I would have never thought to simmer the shrimp heads and shells in oil or water either, for that matter.
Do you give the shells to your hens? Once when I only had a few hens, I doled out shrimp shells daily to them. The texture of the yolks changed to a creamy texture when boiled and the yolks had faint pink swirls from the shrimp shells.
Yes, I always gave the shells to them, and they always fought seriously to get as many as possible. They also enjoyed some pork or beef organs when I got too much for our raw fed dogs and cats.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am SOO glad that we have, here in Champagn County, IL a local brewery that is taking off in distribution, Riggs.
DD checked and Anhauser Busch owns so many beer companies. I refuse to buy their product.
I have a great alternative.
I also like Leinenkugel.
We also had a local one - they suffered from the last flood but are gradually back to the stage. I would like to visit them sooner or later. :D

Latest posts