Joy in the Little Things

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just got a new fried rice recipe, and it's absolutely a wow!

Never too old to learn ~
23-07-08-13-45-02-928_deco.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You should move here. More Jack Daniels available.
Yes. Unless you live in a 'dry county'. Years ago when we toured the Jack Daniel's distillery we were not able to taste the whiskey, and were offered lemonade at the end because Lynchburg, Tennessee is a dry county. At the time they were not even allowed to offer samples, which we found very odd (looks like that has changed though; tasters are now permitted).

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had fried rice Thursday, Phaedra.

It's always very much impromptu.

Ha! There's a Latin word used in English that is ready for an everyday circumstance. recipe impromptu. Whatcha got?

Steve :)
Steve, I will still claim it as impromptu, as I didn't plan to make it, Haha. In Japanese, there is another interesting term, 'Omakase' - which means the chefs cook what they have at hand and serve (and the customers trust the chef anyway). Usually, there is no menu in such restaurants.

I belong to those people who have no love following any specific procedure, especially in cooking. However, I enjoy watching good chefs cook and learning how they handle the key elements.

My family loves fried rice so much, and my fried rice is always impromptu. :D But, but, but this time I learned something new and impressive. It's more like a seasoning trick than a recipe. Well, let me try to elaborate.

Okay, I got a box of tiger shrimps with heads and shells. The first (and boring) step is to separate meat and heads/shells.

The shrimp heads/shells were then used to produce 'shrimp oil' - just fry them in the oil (I used lard) for 5~10 minutes. To make it even more tasty, I added chili powder, garlic powder, and white pepper. For anyone who loves shrimp, this is already something fantastic to enjoy with beer.
8726.jpg

After that frying process, the 'shrimp oil' was filtered and ready to use. Such seasoning oil has to be stored in the fridge and used for a short period.
8727.jpg

Then, I added some water to the shrimp heads/shells to make 'shrimp broth (or stock?)' - just simmering for 20 minutes to release all umami and flavors.

In short, the trick is to produce 'shrimp oil' and 'shrimp broth' and use them to enhance the overall flavor. I was very used to making shrimp broth but didn't recognize that shrimp oil could be made one step earlier.

The shrimp oil -
1. can be applied and fried with the other ingredients in the beginning
2. can be used as a finishing oil before serving

Usually, it's suggested to keep the fried rice on the drier side. Adding 1~2 tablespoons shrimp broth in the end (one minute before turning off the heat) can effectively replenish proper moist back the rice and ensure the shrimpy flavor cover all ingredients.

My other tricks for making lovely fried rice:
1. The rice should be prepared in advance with a bit less water. Some may suggest using leftover rice for a similar reason - soggy fried rice isn't that welcome.

2. Prepare the meat or seafood separately. As household stoves generally can't create high heat like those in restaurants, preparing meat/seafood separately (no matter with water or oil) is a must to avoid fried rice from becoming 'soggy.'

3. When the fried rice is almost done (let's say, 30 seconds before turning off the heat), some chopped lettuce can be added for a richer texture and a more balanced nutrient profile.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! There's a Latin word used in English that is ready for an everyday circumstance. recipe impromptu. Whatcha got?

going completely from imagination picking three words nearly at random candy apple custard. no idea if it would be good or not, but i can imagine some red food coloring gradually seeping into the custard around the chunks of apple slices that were coated with that cloyingly sweet red coating (i don't remember it having much flavor itself - did it? it's been probably fifty years since i had a candy apple - we're definitely a caramel apple people tribe instead...)

today's menu is fish sticks with homemade tartar sauce. i never make it the same exact way twice.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice & Complete, Phaedra!

Shrimp fried rice was a special favorite as a young person. I had a friend whose family owned a Chinese restaurant where I often ate but there was a restaurant in a nearby town that was right on the waterfront with the boats unloading their catch - including shrimp. I was careful not to tell the friend when I ventured off to eat there :).

Lynchburg, Tennessee is a dry county
Profit selling outside the county was very much okay, eh?

no love following any specific procedure
Unlike Lynchburg's Prescribed Citizen Behavior.

;) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to reflect on that "Cherry Chouffe" beer for awhile. Interestingly, I find that Belgian beer is in the US and, even, at a wine shop that I drove by, yesterday!

Cherry flavored beer -- It might be good. Why not? And, why doesn't one of our local breweries make that? The USDA says that Washington State is #1 in cherry production USDA link.

There's some Michigan cherry beers with wheat is noted as an ingredient. Might overcome some of my objection to wheat beer.

Steve

Latest posts