Joy in the Little Things

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How cool that you grow mushrooms too! How many different varieties do you grow? Is it easy to grow mushrooms?
It's easy! I used to buy the 'ready-to-grow mushroom cultivation bags' - you just need to give them a high humidity environment, and they will grow.

I once tried to cultivate my own spawn with cooked rye berries, however, I didn't have time to complete the entire process (it takes months...)

As our summer this year is comparatively cool and damp, I decided to buy the ready product and grow in a shady area. So far, it's good!

I got a log from our neighbor and would like to try below method today!

9940.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's easy! I used to buy the 'ready-to-grow mushroom cultivation bags' - you just need to give them a high humidity environment, and they will grow.

I once tried to cultivate my own spawn with cooked rye berries, however, I didn't have time to complete the entire process (it takes months...)

As our summer this year is comparatively cool and damp, I decided to buy the ready product and grow in a shady area. So far, it's good!

I got a log from our neighbor and would like to try below method today!

View attachment 59450
Neat! I have heard about that log method! I can't read German, but my mom knows the language very well. I could get her to translate!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The one and only melon I had this year- Kajari Melon, originated from India.

All plants growing outdoors didn't make it (remained very tiny and didn't grow up). The only plant growing in the greenhouse (in 10L pot) had two fruits, but only this one grew till the end.
11025.jpg

It smells so wonderful, and I will keep it for another few days to reach the most ideal status.
11024.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phaedra, I live about 250-300 miles (4-500 km) north and 1000-1500 feet (300-450 meters) higher in elevation to a couple of important melon-growing areas. I'm envious :).

I have this theory about cucurbits - that they originated in semi-arid regions but in canyons with seasonal runoff of surface water. So, the plants have dry air conditions, plenty of water for growth, and need the vining characteristic so as to gain adequate sunlight. Denied any of this and the plants are delayed, at the least.

The bouncy temperatures here add an additional challenge to any plant. I lost my melon crop entirely one season with only one vine just surviving.

Seed for that melon variety is available in the US. Interesting!!! I wonder where it has been successfully grown.

Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, I live about 250-300 miles (4-500 km) north and 1000-1500 feet (300-450 meters) higher in elevation to a couple of important melon-growing areas. I'm envious :).

I have this theory about cucurbits - that they originated in semi-arid regions but in canyons with seasonal runoff of surface water. So, the plants have dry air conditions, plenty of water for growth, and need the vining characteristic so as to gain adequate sunlight. Denied any of this and the plants are delayed, at the least.

The bouncy temperatures here add an additional challenge to any plant. I lost my melon crop entirely one season with only one vine just surviving.

Seed for that melon variety is available in the US. Interesting!!! I wonder where it has been successfully grown.

Steve
Hi Steve, I keep telling myself, well, one vine one fruit, my melon was treated like those expensive ones in Japan.

Next year, I will try to grow at least two in the greenhouse and the rest in the full sun area. I love melons and wish I can harvest a lot of them one day.

By the way, Kajari is a nice and pretty variety with charming fragrance, if you can get some seeds, it's worthy for a trial.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Steve
Your theory is very intriguing digitS'. I am trying to figure out how to grow large plants like squash and melons with adequate water in a hot location in the garden. Next year I may try making low swales covered with black Bio360, with the vining seedlings planted in the depression behind the swale. That way moisture from irrigation, rain or dew would drip down towards the stem of the cucurbits, with still permitting their vines to run over the black surface for extra heat. The Bio360 would also prevent a lot of the evaporation of moisture. This year the inexpensive compost that I usually get was not available-- but if I can buy a load of it next year creating swales will be on my list of things to try.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your theory is very intriguing digitS'. I am trying to figure out how to grow large plants like squash and melons with adequate water in a hot location in the garden. Next year I may try making low swales covered with black Bio360, with the vining seedlings planted in the depression behind the swale. That way moisture from irrigation, rain or dew would drip down towards the stem of the cucurbits, with still permitting their vines to run over the black surface for extra heat. The Bio360 would also prevent a lot of the evaporation of moisture. This year the inexpensive compost that I usually get was not available-- but if I can buy a load of it next year creating swales will be on my list of things to try.
We are also planning a swale in our garden. :)

Latest posts