Joy in the Little Things

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That was my first impression too; but then, some of the eggplants I've grow were thornier than that - and litchi tomato thorns are the worst. They volunteered this year among the tomatillo volunteers, and both DD & me as we were cleaning those out.

Those pepper plants look attractive. I'm assuming they are greenhouse grown?
I got this plant last spring (very tiny) and transplanted it this spring. So far, it stayed outdoors without any problem. The gardener who sold this told me Sichuan pepper can survive to -20°C.

In general, it's a pretty low maintenance plant. I dethroned the lower part of the plant, removed all lower stems, and pruned it as the open form (all stems that might cross each other were removed). This should be helpful for reducing the chance that it 'bites' me. :lol:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Homemade Vanilla Extract Batch#01

I will get some nice Bourbon Whisky and Rum for the following batches. The honey Whisky I have at hand should be ok for the year-end baking.
13624_0.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow... didn't know you could train mums that way.

i'm curious if it works for longer term. i suspect it may not... the plant may really need all those leaves to get enough energy to create the flower buds - but that is what experimenting is about. :) i do love the effect as it is.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i'm curious if it works for longer term. i suspect it may not... the plant may really need all those leaves to get enough energy to create the flower buds - but that is what experimenting is about. :) i do love the effect as it is.
Yes, nothing to lose. Just like other trees that were chosen as bonsai plants, they can grow freely for a certain period of time and receive the pruning and trimming later.

As it's an optimization under so many constraints - we might need to give 80% of the plant up and create the beauty from the rest 20%.

This MUM looks so far promising, but it's stems are more fragile than Azaleas. I broke two stems, otherwise the final presentation of the first year might look different. I hope, the main stems can become more robust gradually.

I will choose another two varieties MUMs (with much stronger and thicker stems) for my hands-on candidates. :D

Latest posts