Joy in the Little Things

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"A bee that was searching for sweets one day
Through the gate of a rose garden happened to stray.
In the heart of a rose he hid away,
And forgot in his bliss the light of day,
As sipping his honey he buzzed in song;
Though day was waning, he lingered long,
For the rose was sweet, so sweet."

–Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872–1906)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Monarchs have been ALL OVER my daisies lately.View attachment 51960
I remember we had so many Monarch butterflies in Northern CA when I was a kid. I had a science class at school and our assignment was to catch and then mount a long list of flying insects and creepy crawlers to a board. A Monarch butterfly was sadly on the list! I can't imagine that being a school assignment today with how few Monarchs there are! It is rare that I see one here now in the Pacific Northwest!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dahlia , you can see by this map and by your location a partial explanation for that.

767px-Monarch_butterfly_US_migration.png

For me, it is a very rare year when I see one all season. The map is a little too simplified but shows my location in that avenue of mountains leading to Canada. It suggests that I have zero chance of seeing a Monarch. Not quite true -- the last one that I saw was in my garden ☺️ but about 5 years ago.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Dahlia , you can see by this map and by your location a partial explanation for that.

767px-Monarch_butterfly_US_migration.png

For me, it is a very rare year when I see one all season. The map is a little too simplified but shows my location in that avenue of mountains leading to Canada. It suggests that I have zero chance of seeing a Monarch. Not quite true -- the last one that I saw was in my garden ☺️ but about 5 years ago.

Steve

do you have milkweed or butterfly weed around there?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should Really look into getting some milkweed seeds bc I see Monarchs every year. I could certainly help their population. ALL they do at my place is stock up on pollen, but I'm sure that I could get them to lay eggs at my place, too. I understand that they are now threatened.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should Really look into getting some milkweed seeds bc I see Monarchs every year. I could certainly help their population. ALL they at my place is stock up on pollen, but I'm sure that I could get them to lay eggs at my place, too. I understand that they are now threatened.

if i can find some i'll send both when i send garlic cloves.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug, you are SOOOO GENEROUS!!!! :hugs:hugs:hugs
Can anybody recommend where I should look to buy Illini Sweet Corn? It seems absurd, bc it was developed in my county, at the University of Illinois, and we Should be able to buy it locally. I dunno--maybe I have seen it in those plastic packaging at Farm and Fleet and Rural King, but I am trying to get my seed for 2023 this Fall, so I have it. Thanks, ahead of time!! :love

Latest posts