Just bought home from buying fruit trees!

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wvsheila said:
I got mine from big lots for the last two years and they have been great I have a drawf granny smith, bartlett pear, golden delicious apple, wilson apricot, red haven peach and santa rosa plum and they are all loking great and growing extremely well. I have been very pleased with them. I drive past big lots everytime I go to town just to see if they have them yet. (I want a red dogwood real bad)
I wish that they had grannys here I would have gotten two. no dogwoods this year either. They had them last year though.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i went to my nearest biglots.. and they didnt have any fruit trees.. But they did have rose bushes for $3 so I picked up one.. We have a really big big lots here .. I might go check there.. but at $17 I think I can get the same at walmart in a pot here

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
At our local big lots they were $14 each for the fruit trees and The cheapest ones that they have at our local Walmart are $20 for apples and up for everything else. Lowes and Home Depot dont have theirs in yet as of yesterday.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I just got off the phone with the two largest biglots here in pensacola and neither got in fruit trees.. :(
The biglots here don't have fruits trees or live plants this year.

I'm going to check walmart, home depot and lowe's this year.

Our local nursery wants $75 for theirs.... their dogwoods are $100!!!!! :he

Ok... I JUST realized I was an ArborDay member and they offer them at awesome prices for members...

Here's that winesap you all were looking for.

http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id=144

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im ordering my Norway Spruce from them as my 10 free. what do they charge for shipping the others you buy?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
Im ordering my Norway Spruce from them as my 10 free. what do they charge for shipping the others you buy?
Those 10 free are going to be 'twig' size BTW. I found that out.

My order should be 3'-4' bare root trees. If you are a member, shipping is free.... for everyone else its a flat rate of $4.95 for an order over $50 I think?

My order with 6 fruit trees (I got 3 free additional trees with my order) came to $51.60 so I got the extra free trees and of course free shipping. Who knows when they'll be here though... anytime between now and MAY! (Still waiting on my free trees... I joined in December.)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know they will be small but its a start as I cant afford to buy larger trees. Right now Im in a flat nearly open field, I need to work on some cover. If shipping is free after you become a member I will definitely get more. THanks

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is so wonderful!! I'm so happy for you, you should take pictures of your new babies and post the up for us to all praise :D I think we are going to buy a couple apple trees this year too, we wont be able to enjoy them though because we plan to move to our farm as soon as we can sell our house and buy a new one, *fingers crossed* a year or two!

Latest posts