Kale(s)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale chips are delicious! That is, if we can control the salt that goes into them!

The chips must make a good soup ingredient, themselves.

I wish DW would make some use of her dehydrator but I have not quite gotten to the point where I say that "I gave this as a present for you so I can play with it." I mean, it has not been out of the package!

(Or, I can get one of my own :).)

Steve

Ken Adams

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? Growing kale for the first time...it is so bitter we couldn't eat it

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
maybe not enough water??? I know that makes a lot of veggies turn bitter

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's an acquired taste ... maybe. The larger brassica family is fairly large. A few things are usually eaten raw, like radish and arugula.

I used to think that my days of eating radish was past. Then, I figured out that it was mostly a matter of timing. I don't like arugula - radish's sister. Can't remember eating turnip greens, don't really care about the roots but then I learned that the great little greens I enjoyed at the Chinese restaurant were bok choy, turnip's sister!

Why, I even eat mustard greens! Have some preferences as to varieties ...

DW says that Portuguese kale tastes like cabbage. Well, it should - fairly closely related, but I don't quite think so. Looks like cabbage but is bit (& a bite) different. It's more lik Scotch kale - that's not much like cabbage.

Brussels sprouts scare me! I've never really liked them. How am I gonna learn to? Maybe, there is some recipe or variety ...

No stress, Ken! Not on the gardener nor the plants - and @britesea suggests one for veggies. New tender leaves or, maybe, you will want to wait until after frost. Or, maybe those turnip greens. @britesea has that recipe for radish greens soup! I've had radishes, root and leaf, in good stir-fry!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale chips are delicious! That is, if we can control the salt that goes into them!

The chips must make a good soup ingredient, themselves.

I wish DW would make some use of her dehydrator but I have not quite gotten to the point where I say that "I gave this as a present for you so I can play with it." I mean, it has not been out of the package!

(Or, I can get one of my own :).)

Steve
Steve, Maybe you could make a trade with DW--a gift card to her favorite store, for the dehydrator. (Don't forget to tell her you realize it was not what she wanted. You know the husband's most powerful axiom: "I'm sorry")

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that would make more sense than duel dehydrators.

Sorry Steve
such was his lot

4989_joe_btfsplk.jpg

i wish it would rain but while that might clear the smoke from the air, it may wreck the dehydrator

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make potato soup and put kale in it. thats our favorite but we also cut it up and put in all our salads... its one of my best sellers at the farmer's market

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, Maybe you could make a trade with DW--a gift card to her favorite store, for the dehydrator. (Don't forget to tell her you realize it was not what she wanted. You know the husband's most powerful axiom: "I'm sorry")
If IT were that SIMPLE.

Latest posts