Keeping a Ellwoodii (???) in a pot

that_crazy_lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got a little tree from my mother for christmas. It says Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwoodii' The little tab also says you could plant it out side, or move it to a larger pot after the holidays. I didn't do eather and it had been doing very well until last month. It seems to be drying out, and turning brown. I know it needs a bigger pot now, I'm sorry to say I got side tracked with a trip. Mom got me a pot today but forgot the soil, so it has to wait til tomorrow. I also think it needs some fertilizer. This is my first tree, is there something more I should know about keeping it in a pot?
My only other plant for now is a peace lilly, but I plan to change that :D I love having plants indoors.
Thanks so much for any info!

JP

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's definitely meant to be an outdoor plant not a houseplant. You can TRY keeping it as a houseplant for a while longer but I would not count on it to be happy or have a long lifespan.

If you're going to keep it potted, I'd suggest you pot it on now but DO NOT FERTILIZE. First because you should never fertilize a stressed or damaged plant, and second because the extra soil it will be put into in the larger pot will likely contain a worthwhile amount of nutrients for it already.

Unfortunately they do not have a great sense of humor about drying out; the parts that are brown now are a goner, but hopefully there is enough left in good condition that it can grow onwards ok. It "wants" to become a decent-sized shrub, so as long as the roots are not too damaged, it has some reasonable chance of outgrowing early loss of branches/needles.

I can't grow them (not hardy here) but my parents in PA had one; they like part shade or open/dappled all-day shade and reasonably moisture-retentive soil that does not get soggy but does not dry out. Do not do well with lotsa wind. If you plant them where they're happy though they are nice low-maintenance neat tidy-looking plants.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

that_crazy_lady

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks. I plan to plant it out side when I move onto my own place, not sure when that will be thought. With in three years I hope. 23 {after this sat} and still living at home. It works out real well most of the time. I don't want to plant it hear cuz my parents don't plan to stay.
None of it is really brown, but it is not soft like it was befor. Its in the new big pot, so now I just have to sit and wait. Good thing plants don't mind being staired at :)

Latest posts