Keeping Weight Off

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. ~ Steve Wright

How am I going to keep excess weight off this winter?

Does it make any sense to talk about what to eat?

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Come shovel my snow. That will take care of it! (For you. Then we can talk about how to keep weight off *me* instead, of course)

(Whereas if neither you *nor* I shovel my driveway, that woudl probably keep me lean too, as I could not get to the store to buy pretzels or chocolate!)

Pat

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ThighMaster.jpg

:hide Joe

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I figure there are two roads you can go by:
1) eat what you want, but ramp up the exercise
2) restrict calories

I like to eat what I want, when I want (within reason, of course), so I try to keep active. There are lots of projects I can work on outdoors this time of year, but I guess I am lucky in that respect.

I think it also helps if your house is cold . . . weight loss by thermogenesis. :)

Also . . . your body naturally wants to hibernate and put on some winter fat this time of year. I don't fight that or worry too much about extra insulation. I just try to eat healthier in late winter/early spring.

That seems to work for me. But we are all different.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had record snowfall here last year. Huge piles along the walks and driveway. It got so I threw it one way and my neighbor threw the same shovelful back. Twenty extra pounds showed up on the scale at the end of the winter. I'd lost it all by the end of October. It's coming baaaack!

Exercise is a bit problematic because of mobility issues. A garden plant has "demands" and I'm "driven" to try to accommodate it. Winter . . . I'm trying to talk the chickens into pouting and throwing tantrums over fluffing their shavings and providing treats. Maybe they'd like to go for walks . . .

I've threaten to eat nothing but homecooking but not closer than a mile from home. And, I must leave the truck in the driveway during "meal time" - think that might work? DD has an "insulated" backpack she'd loan me and I could strap a TV tray and a stool on it. . . . maybe a half mile.

I saw a nutritionist the other day say that fiber is the closest thing to a magic weight-control bullet. It may be okay to spend money on something I can't digest.

Fasting every other day was advice for the obese that I heard about yesterday. So far, I'm a day behind . . .

And, it doesn't help for people to frequently tell me that I don't need to lose weight. Just how easy it was to move 200 pounds around on a 6'1" frame with bad legs, I learned last year.

DW said, "Do you need larger pants?"

I said, "How about just a bathrobe and a wheelchair?" I got the larger pants.

Steve

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think fasting is good advice. Sometimes I skip lunch, if I am not FAMISHED . . . but that is usually in the summer months. Harder to do in the winter.

I hear weight lifting is good for calorie burning (the more muscle mass you have the faster you burn through calories . . . or something to that effect).

You could eat celery for lunch. It is supposed to have "negative calories" because it doesn't have much in the way of calories and chewing it burns even more. ;) I knew people in high school who used to eat celery for this reason. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know nothing about telling anyone what to or what NOT to eat. I just eat a little LESS of everything, and I have a gym membership!!!!

:D

(That I only occasionally goto!)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I eat pretty much what I want within reason, but keep active!

Hauling in wood, tending the horse and chickens and walking the dogs if it's not too freezing cold. As long as I get outside each day in the winter and do something, I feel good. Even cleaning is good exercise some days! I have a basement and an upstairs, so lots of stair climbing...hauling laundry, tending the fire, etc. helps.

If you're having problems with your knees or joints, look into getting a recumbant bike. It's very easy on your back and knees and still gives you a good cardio workout. I agree too with lifting some weights. You don't have to "pump iron" necessarily, but some 5 or 10lb free weights, medicine ball or resistance bands are good and you can do a variety of exercises with them.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I think it also helps if your house is cold . . . weight loss by thermogenesis. :)
Thus, lose weight by eating lots of really cold ice cream! Preferably with chocolate chips in it, that require extra chewing! Ta da!

LOL

Pat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
DrakeMaiden said:
Thus, lose weight by eating lots of really cold ice cream! Preferably with chocolate chips in it, that require extra chewing! Ta da!

LOL

Pat
I like this plan! :D

Latest posts