Keeping Weight Off

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the growing season, I get plenty of exercise, especially stretching type exercises. Note above: I dropped 20 pounds without dieting. Oh, I guess I pushed myself back from the table a few times and had DW hide the candy.

I get up every day, these days and the last 3 winters, and "stretch with Miranda" . . . on PBS. I can't do the 2nd half, so it only amounts to the standing stretches. Heck, I can hardly turn over in bed, exercising on the floor won't work. Bad back, paralyzed leg . . .

Miranda is great. My heart rate goes up and I sure do feel better for doing this. I do a little of the exercises during the day. Some of those shows I must have seen a half-dozen times. Before Miranda, it was Joannie Greggains for quite a few years before I left for work . . . . maybe I should explore exercise videos . . . ? I seem to be able to handle some of the scheduling discipline.

I'm a "light" eater - - I start from first light and eat all day. Yeah, I need to get out of the house more and I do, in good weather! Noooooo, I don't like the cold!

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1) eat what you want, but ramp up the exercise
2) restrict calories
Neither of these worked for me. I had to restrict carbohydrates to less than 60g/day to finally lose weight. It also cured my hypertension, so that was cool :D

Another thing that effects your weight in winter is a lack of vitamin D. I supplement in winter with D3 (Carlson's liquid D3 drops to be exact).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vitamin D? I made an omelet with salmon today, Wifezilla. Cilantro, scallions, super chili - all diced, 2 cheeses and a dash of black pepper . . .

I seem to crave salmon in the winter. I could also, happily, go back to sardines in tomato and pepper - with rice. It used to be a fairly common and simple meal. There's so much flavor in these 2 fish that I may eat less of everything else. DrakeMaiden's celery sticks would be a nice accompaniment.

60 grams of carbs is a tiny amount. I wouldn't want my celery sticks to count towards that . . .

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I seem to crave salmon in the winter.
Could be your body wanting more omega 3s.

60 grams of carbs is a tiny amount.
Some people can go higher without problems. Not me though :p
Keep in mind that 50g of carbs is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar. Most people are eating the equivalent of 2 and 3 cups of sugar PER DAY EVERY DAY.

When you keep in mind that carbs = sugar, 60g sounds like a lot actually :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that 50g of carbs is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar.
Okay, but I don't want my bran flakes to count unless there's sugar/raisins in the box . . .

See, I play this "negotiation game" with myself, too. It's part of the reason I put this weight on.

Steve's digits
and then pretend that some negotiators are making benefits possible and I'm just a helpless onlooker and beneficiary to the proceedings. But, as a youngest child - I had to be sneaky like this.
. . . while I hook another doughnut when no one is looking . . .

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When I just up the exercise, all I get is really firm fat. :he

What worked for me a few years ago was to up the protein and the complex carbs and to stay away from white flour and as much sugar as possible. Lost 80 lbs in less than a year.

The drawback was that I didn't have as much weight to throw around. You know, that (heavy object) needs to be over there, so you just throw a hip or shoulder into it and shove. Now I have to get a second set of muscles to move some of those things. So there are some benefits to firm fat!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
patandchickens said:
DrakeMaiden said:
I think it also helps if your house is cold . . . weight loss by thermogenesis. :)
Thus, lose weight by eating lots of really cold ice cream! Preferably with chocolate chips in it, that require extra chewing! Ta da!

LOL

Pat
I like this plan! :D
Sign me up too! :gig

However . . . I heard that years ago some woman in Australia, I think it was, died of hypothermia from eating a gallon of chocolate ice cream in one sitting. :p

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hey, Joe--send me one of those ginormous Thighmasters!!!

Seriously, though, here's some tips that might help:
1) Drink one cup of water for every cup of coffee/tea (then, you won't be dehydrated)

2) Buy fruit. Eat a piece EVERY TIME you want to eat a piece of candy/chocolate

3) Take the stairs, instead of the elevator

4) Stretch in the mornings right after you get up

5) Iron your dress clothes while you watch tv

6) Sign up for Ballroom dance lessons

Hope this helps!

-Betty (aka ducksryou)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wait a minute . . . this involves dress clothes???????? :th

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am an avid Belly Dancer!
normalimg_5146ys.jpg

This is the secret to my successful figure! LOL :lol: That, and of course my dog, Rudi, is two years old and requires daily walks. They start the moment the sun rises...or else! Sometimes I don't even get coffee. My dog has issues with pooping in his own yard; he flat out refuses.

I have dropped 40 pounds since April! :weee

Ron

78988403.dQvHB39y.IMG_0147.JPG

I also attribute this weight loss to the 'Brain Entrainment' tapes I use. Within a week of plugging in I started losing weight! :bee

Yet, I still think Belly Dancing is a big factor! You all should join in! I find Loreena Mckinnett a perfect music for it!

Here is Marco Polo Loreena Mckinnett

Try it! Turn on the video and feel the music. It is under 5 minutes long, but I bet if you can last you will be about 10 degrees warmer inside and out! Just move your shoulders, your arms, your waist, your hips. Just get out of your chair and spend 5 minutes feeling it. I Love it! I can actually last a song or two of hers which is about 15 minutes. I do this every other day!

Enjoy!

Jim%20Boz%20sm.jpg

Latest posts