Kissing bugs

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn Knowing your love of Okra (and not being afraid to hijack) I took this photo of my next door neighbor's backyard with you in mind. I have not measured it but some of that okra is at least 10 feet tall and producing quite well. I have not asked him but i think that citrus up front is a lime. It could be a satsuma, pretty sure it is not a lemon. That fig off to the right is producing, but not much.

Okra.JPG

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Half mile from kennel is a spot the daylabors group every morning. If I have some thing that needs to be done and no one wants to do it I will bring in daylabor. 90% of the time they are hard workers who are grateful for work. I helped a friend and her husband become citizens, What I don't think people realize is the money it takes to become a citizen. From green card to citizenship cost them $20,000. This was on top of there normal living expenses. Without a lawyer you have almost no chance of becoming citizen.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule agree, very touchy situation. My dad’s side came north to get work. Same deal as far I’m concerned. If I was poor and saw opportunity on other side, I’d go.
And then there are the ones brought here as children, to deport them would be cruel. Our politicians on BOTH sides need to stop using the whole thing as a political football, shut up, bury the hatchet (not in each other) act like grown ups and WORK TOGETHER to make it better for all involved. I'd like to take them ALL out behind the woodshed for a peach switch whuppin'. sez the crank opinionated ol' woman......

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I tried to change the topic, obviously did not work. It is a touchy topic, very political. We all have our own experiences and often strong opinions. Sometimes it hits close to home. My step-son has an Hispanic last name. Although his Hispanic side has been citizens for generations and he has worked for the VA for over 15 years he still gets harassed when he flies or at other times just being ion public, especially before they see his 6'-3" frame.

Not every person crossing the border is a decent hardworking person. Not every one is a rapist drug-dealing thug. We do have problems that need to be addressed. But I see no solution as long as politicians can't see the facts but just spout things off and posture to get reelected.

@seedcorn I like to think I'd have the courage to try to better myself and my family if I were caught in one of those situations. I'm not sure I would, it takes a lot of courage to uproot yourself and leave home, relatives, friends, and everything you are familiar with behind.

One funny story somewhat related is that one of my wife's ancestors discreetly departed Prussia to avoid the draft but was drafted into the Union army when he got here.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kissing bugs.....this post is more related to the Golden Orb Spider.

On checking them this morning....I have 5 remaining......NONE of the spiders had put in the zig-zag feature into their webs. It is usually applied last thing upon re-weaving their morning web. Now, it is somehow hurricane related....that they didn't add the zig-zag......but I don't know why. We did have some gusty winds last night, and they are ALL located in different spots around the property. Most had re-built their webs low to the ground. Something I hadn't seen previously either. Except the huge spider. She planted herself up top of the potting shed..under the fascia by the door. Still....no zig zag. There was even a smaller newly constructed web close by hers. No zig zag. Same pattern.

Pictures- I haven't figured out how to post them here yet....via my cellphone. I tried. Didn't work. hmmmm :idunno:hu

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have caught 3 this past week. By the side door. Fully grown and ready to feed. I fed them to my collection of huge golden orb spider ladies. Now, the first 2 kissing bugs.....the spiders....even being larger than the kissing bugs....stayed clear away from their mouth parts. Did most of the wrapping from the top of the kissing bug. Then, spider injected the bug and moved herself far away from it, to allow the spider toxins to work.
Today....pre-storm ....just now...I found #3. I offered it to 3 of the spiders.....3 ran away. So that left the huge spider. I stuck it on her web. She came down and tasted it.....touched it.....didn't wrap it. I will go check back later...to see what she decided to do with it.
I have never seen that many kissing bugs in one spot in one week. They must be moving ahead of the storm.
Do you pull wings off of flies, too? Just kidding. I would have loved to watch the spiders' work.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you pull wings off of flies, too? Just kidding. I would have loved to watch the spiders' work.

Oh no!! Flies get to be spider food! I just check on the spiders when I go out to do chicken chores. It ended up to be 7 of them for a week or 2.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn Knowing your love of Okra (and not being afraid to hijack) I took this photo of my next door neighbor's backyard with you in mind. I have not measured it but some of that okra is at least 10 feet tall and producing quite well. I have not asked him but i think that citrus up front is a lime. It could be a satsuma, pretty sure it is not a lemon. That fig off to the right is producing, but not much.

View attachment 28417
Love your tropical climate, hate the SNAKES that can kill you.

Latest posts