Kitchen nightmare on Halloween

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerweaver, IMHO ya did good, girl! Removing the jamb isn't the worst thing to do. Now you can either resize the existing opening and install a new door w/jamb combo, or redo the old opening to fit the original door with a new door jamb.

I probably would have done the same thing. I certainly was surprised when my new refrigerator didn't fit into the recessed space we had. It didn't look that large in the show room. . . Luckily the doors were a full 3 feet and the fridge went in just fine.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Nyboy why didn't I think of using the hatchet?!? It was probably a lot sharper but the guys probably would have run away.

@catjac1975 LOL, the photo was taken AFTER I put the door back on. The jamb really did have to come out, even with the doors off the fridge. This thing is HUGE! Now my rectangular kitchen is sort of U-shaped around it. The fridge was made to recess into a wall, except our interior walls are brick so there's no recessing without an addition. The counter depth versions were a thousand dollars more, for less space and I just couldn't see spending that.

@thistlebloom We've talked about adding on to our small kitchen. Now it seems like more of a priority!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In truth, the door needs replacing as does the jamb and threshold. My dearly departed wolf dog did a number on it years ago because he was afraid of storms and other loud noises.

But I will probably just tack the weatherstripping back up until I can figure things out and line up a carpenter. I know from the ordeal of replacing the back door that the portal openings are not a standard size, and cutting through brick block is a PITA. I need to measure and draft out the room and play around with possibilities, collect surface samples and ideas.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
At least your refrigerator will fit into your kitchen, albeit tightly. I had to place mine (which is tiny- only about 10 cubic feet total) around the corner in the utility room because our kitchen is smack dab in the middle of the house and has at least one door on every wall and the dinosaur wall heater is right where any sane person would have put a fridge. We don't have room for a kitchen table either, and no dining room; so we eat in the living room off tv trays. Someday, I'll have a dining room *sigh*

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can commiserate @britesea as my former city house was tiny and had no dining room and a 10 cu fridge. But at least I could go to the market frequently. I have a dining room now, only the table is covered in corn and beans that are drying and waiting to be stored (anywhere else the field mice would make quick work of them!) so we are eating off the piano bench!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another funny story regarding the fridge: yesterday when one of the workers was taking off the appliance doors he passed by one of my chicken coops (they are large buildings I can walk in) and he came running in to tell me there was some strange animal inside stalking my chickens! Of course, I rather doubted that something would show up in broad daylight in a coop that had proven predator proof for eight years.

I asked him if it was perhaps one of my cats that live in there, and he assured me it was no cat. He said it was big and black with white fur on top kind of blown back and he imitated it's walk (pretty humorous). I realized he was talking about Chester, my White Crested Black Poland rooster. I told him it was a chicken, and he said no, it was really tall. I told him there was a roost pole by the window on which the bird was walking. Sheesh!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Nyboy we have discussed building an eco-house across the creek and just turning our old house into a music and art studio. My husband and I have an agreement on how we share all the rooms--he gets all the vertical surfaces and I get all the horizontal ones LOL!!! Of course he did put his foot down when I had seed packets spread across the piano keyboard for sorting.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vertical? Horizontal? I have a path ...

Any building is just enclosed space.

Inside, it starts as space. Furnishings should be comfortable for the purpose intended, sitting, sleeping, food storage.

Decorations? I have a wall in the utility room where I must still have some license for decor. There is a drawing of "Flower the Teddy Bear" my daughter made for me when she was in elementary school and a picture of Gandalf and Gimli the Dwarf with the Misty Mountains in the background ... I've had it for close to 40 years.

Steve

Latest posts