Leaf from thorny tree

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is a volunteer. Nurture it and it will likely fruit for you. My bet it is from your kitchen.

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay! here is a wild guess.

The old folks went on a vacation.

They went to sunny Florida.

Drove to the nice beaches and drove past all the wonderful Citrus groves. In the middle of the road was a citrus fruit.

Being the old sport that he is, old not dead, he swerves!
SPLAT, he still has it! Got it!

Back at home he parks the old T-Bird out in the yard. Citrus seed falls out from being lodged into the treads of the tire and.....

That is one idea. I can think of many more!

Joe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only citrus that the USDA shows growing in the wild in Texas is Citrus aurantium, sour orange. The leaves are too round for that, as best as I can tell by looking at photo's.

I could be wrong, here's a dried branch in CalPhotos.

I had wondered if it was a citrus relative, Poncirus trifoliata. But, even from the name you know that it has 3 leaves. Apparently, that tree grows throughout the South.

Steve

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Y'all are that sure this is a grapefruit tree???

I guess it did smell sort of grapefruity.

I can't remember the last time we ate a grapefruit.

Very interesting. Its location is interesting too. It's right next to our house, so close that i don't think it'll have any room to grow and will get only spotty sunlight. It's a very pretty tree though!

I thought frost would kill grapefruit trees. Is that wrong? I am not well versed in citrus plants.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
The only citrus that the USDA shows growing in the wild in Texas is Citrus aurantium, sour orange. The leaves are too round for that, as best as I can tell by looking at photo's.

I could be wrong, here's a dried branch in CalPhotos.

I had wondered if it was a citrus relative, Poncirus trifoliata. But, even from the name you know that it has 3 leaves. Apparently, that tree grows throughout the South.

Steve
I think you're right. Those leaves look more elongated than these. Would be cool though.

What's the best way to transplant a citrus tree? It's in a really bad place. If it's going to live long enough for us to find out what it really is and if it fruits, it's going to have to be moved.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
For your information and curious minds.

I went out to look again, and i am afraid that when we moved here and were cutting "brush" away from the house, we cut down this tree. The original trunk is about 1 1/2 inches-ish across. So it's older than i thought. It sprouted very healthy looking branches. It may not have been so healthy last year. For some reason, a LOT of stuff likes to grow in that patch by the house. There's also a young oak tree that will have to mournfully be cut down - and a pile of Nandinas :somad .

I was curious, so i went and sniffed the leaf again and compared it to the leaves on my lone star orange and on my lime tree, and they smell the same. I guess i needed a grapefruit tree! I already have an orange and lime. :D

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
For your information and curious minds.

I went out to look again, and i am afraid that when we moved here and were cutting "brush" away from the house, we cut down this tree. The original trunk is about 1 1/2 inches-ish across. So it's older than i thought. It sprouted very healthy looking branches. It may not have been so healthy last year. For some reason, a LOT of stuff likes to grow in that patch by the house. There's also a young oak tree that will have to mournfully be cut down - and a pile of Nandinas :somad .

I was curious, so i went and sniffed the leaf again and compared it to the leaves on my lone star orange and on my lime tree, and they smell the same. I guess i needed a grapefruit tree! I already have an orange and lime. :D
So you cut the main trunk?

If it was grafted then you are now growing a sucker! Not worth the air it breaths!

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
Yes, we cut the main trunk.

I thought grafting was something people do to trees, not something they do themselves.

??
Yes grafting is done to trees.

And one can also graft themselves!

Take a good root stock and graft a compatible branch on to it.
many people do it and is very common around here.

Trees that bear fruit all year long, some with a Lime, Lemon, and others on the same tree.

It is not just for the pros to graft! But that tree you have most likely was and if the graft was cut then you are left with the root stock!

Great roots stong growth but the fruit will be worthless, unless you do a large cook out and make a large marinade with them. That is a whole other thread.

Joe

Latest posts