Leaf from thorny tree

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you know what this is?

It's from a small tree with large thorns. Very pretty tree. When i snapped the leaf off, it smelled sort of citrusy. It's still very very green even though the leaves are brown or on the ground from most of the deciduous trees around here.

I thought it might be some kind of a wild lemon???? I really don't know, and i couldn't find this leaf in my searching. Very unusual leaf.

thorny%20tree%20leaf.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what it is, Punkin, but I just wanted to comment on the link in your signature.

There in the sidebar one can check on pineywood ecosystems. What an abundance of information comes up! I bet that this is where you do much of your internet searching to learn about your new environment :cool:.

Stephen F. Austin State University has provided a great service with that website. I wish that something like that was available in my part of the world.

Steve

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It looks like something citrus. I tried to grow some orange and grapefruit trees from seed years ago anf the leaves were that shape with the little dohickey (technical term - lol) on the bottom.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Steve, i love the SFA website. The professor who has that ecosystem site is very helpful to answer emails and help with identifications. But i try not to bother him too often. That's where i got started about a year ago, and it helped me understand why my area looks so different from so much of what is thought of as the Piney Woods.

Jojo, i thought so too. It reminds me of my orange tree, but my orange tree doesn't have the doohickey.

I know that there's some kind of a wild lemon that grows around here some - and i'm thinking it doesn't actually produce lemons. But i can't remember what it's called to look it up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Punkin, any chance that the other leaves on this tree were in clusters of 3?

Just having fun . . . I set off from here to try to identify a hawthorn in my neck of the woods.

Then I came back.

Steve

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Punkin, any chance that the other leaves on this tree were in clusters of 3?

Just having fun . . . I set off from here to try to identify a hawthorn in my neck of the woods.

Then I came back.

Steve
Oh, i like hawthorns. I have a parsley hawthorn in my woods.

I don't know about the clusters. But i'll go check in a sec and let you know.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are some more pics, Steve. Please have all the fun you want. :D

S6304399.JPG

S6304400.JPG

S6304401.JPG

So i guess the answer's no. Is this called whorled alternate? Or something like that?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This looks like my Grapefruit tree! Not sure, hard to judge the size of the leaves.

It would seem as if you have a very unique ecosystem going on in your forest!

You seem to keep finding things that don't normally grow there!

Do you know who owned the land before you? I think that would be a great study in itself.

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The leaf is about 5 inches long. I scanned it next to a little ruler in the first picture to give you an idea.

The people who owned this before us bought it 30-ish years ago, lived in a little tiny house with their children for a while, then built this one (which is basically a finished garage) and used it for a weekend home later in life. An engineer and a real estate lady.

They do seem like interesting people. They're about 80 now i think, but they're really fun to talk to, and they like to tell their stories. So it may have been more than 30 years ago that they bought it. They built this house in 1980. It's nice because they know the spot pretty well and we can call them and ask them questions about man made anomalies or whatever.

This citrus tree, though, is new and very young.

Especially since the last few years before we bought it, the place was hardly touched, i'm pretty sure they don't know about that tree. ;) But i know that's not really what you mean.

Latest posts