Leaf from thorny tree

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, i'm not playing a game! :rant

Remember how i told you not to underestimate my ignorance level?

I'm asking questions because i want to know the answers. And sometimes your answers in the form of new vocabulary words. :duc

Geez man! A girl wants some information and gets accused......:hit

But seriously. I have no idea. And i've lived here for only a year, so i don't think i planted it from seed. All facts heretofore represented are exactly as represented to the best of my knowledge.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From what I have read most fruit trees these days are grown from grafts, not from seeds. The reason being is it take many years for most fruit trees to actually mature and produce whereas grafted trees usually produce within their first 5 years. Also, most seeds gathered from fruit of grafter trees will not give you the same type of tree as what produced the fruit - it will give you the type of tree that the root-graft came from. Grafts are generally used to make trees more versatile and adaptable to a wider array of regions.

So if this was an accidental seed planting by you, the previous owners, a bird, etc, etc, it may or may not be worth trying to grow for the fruit. It may be worth having if it adds to the beauty of your home. It obviously does NOT care if it is having enough sun or not since it has come back from getting chopped. And it's possible, if you didn't chop it down too low, that you did not interfere with the rootstock it is grafted to.

The only thorny trees we have are mesquite and wild plum....lol. Oh, and some sort of gum tree that I hate.... :/

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beth I apologize if I was rude!

I was tired and was not understanding you.

Just
2sgn062ignore.gif
me.

Joe :frow :hugs

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wanted to see what you're talking about, so i took these pictures of the trunk. So here's my guess. That brown part in the middle is the only part that doesn't have shoots coming off of it. So likely the shoots that are coming off of it are from root stock that i don't want....possibly that rough orange you mentioned. The bigger trunk matches my orange tree's trunk, so that sounds likely.

So someone planted this here?

And left it to be be grown over by the entire forest, i guess.

Kind of sad. I dig citrus.

Turns out the saying is not true. Ignorance, in this case, bit us in the butt. We thought it was a devil's walking stick. That's why we cut it down. :th

S6304402.JPG

S6304403.JPG

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would say that the thick trunk to the right and the infected branch is the grafted part of this tree.

All the little branches from the bottom are suckers. They should be removed. I would also remove that branch to the left. It looks like a sucker just a few seasons old.

If you trimmed off that infected branch and found out what is causing it to die back you could save this tree. It should do well under the canopy of the woods, that will help hold in the heat on cold nights.

I would also clear/clean back a ring around the base and add a thin layer of compost and mulch. They love fish heads and guts around the outside of the drip zone. Dug in of course.

Joe

Latest posts