Leaf from thorny tree

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
how far did you cut it down? normally you can tell a difference in the grafted stems and leaves versus the sucker ones. for instance my satsuma is dark green and the suckers are light green.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
In that picture of the trunk, that's the part we didn't cut down. I'm guessing 1 1/2 to 2 feet from the ground is where it was cut.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
its been there a while. you didnt plant it from seed. it looks like the red stem in the middle is the good tree, the grafted part. the part to the left and the big grayer trunk is likely no good. see if you can differentiate the leaves from the middle stem verses the others. if they are darker, its probably the good part. i doubt you will be able transplant it successfully.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it looks like that big stem on the right (the oldest sucker) got too big and "sucked up" all the nutrients in forming the main stem, thus killing the good, grafted part. thats what happens if you dont keep the suckers cut back. i'd pull it up and buy a new one since you didnt want it there anyway.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, i wanted it once someone convinced me it was a grapefruit tree. I like citrus. I just needed to move it to a different place if it is to survive construction and whatnot long term.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
well if you want to know, wait until the spring and see if it flowers. if it doesnt its probably your run of the mill crappy lemonish rootstock citrus tree.