Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . .Hey! [USER=122]@digitS' !!! Will you please come help Kevin with a choice of OP Romas?[/USER]

I'm no good on this one, Bay'!

Remember? I'm growing a paste tomato this year for only the 2nd season in my long career. And, it was only an accident that I grew a paste once before :rolleyes:.

My experience canning is pretty much helping Mom back in the 1950's ... freezers were invented for people like me.

Maybe, you are thinking about the challenging tomato environment here. Well, I have certainly given some effort to growing appropriate varieties. My climate may not be a lot different from yours, @Kevin B Walsh .

My dad grew up in Las Cruces, where I have visited. I haven't been to northern NM but somewhere near Durango, CO, there is an environment almost identical to here. I'm convinced of it. Maybe that "somewhere" is in nearby New Mexico ...

Personally, if @seedcorn goes for anything low-tech in ag, it's gotta be good! I know that some folks grow oxhearts for sauce, specifically.

Steve

BeanieMan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hello @BeanieMan,

One of the Gardener's Delight tomato plants is about ready to give me it's first ripe fruit. They look like what we call cherry tomatoes. Very, Very small fruits. Is that what they are? They have grown the most beautiful plants and are very tall. Are any of the other varieties you sent to me seed of cherry sized tomatoes?
Hi Russ...
Sungold and Orange Santa as well as Principe Borghese are all cherry tomatoes :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the information BeanieMan !

The Gardener's Delight are starting to ripen more tomatoes. In about two weeks they will really be shelling out tomatoes.

Did you happen to grow my Early Girl monsters? The EG-9 and the EG-15. Non-Hybrid decendants of an Early Girl Hybrid tomato. Just curious to see what you got out of them. This is my Early Girl dehybridizing project. My potato leafed EG-15 is producing fairly nice rounded fruits similar in size to Early Girl.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dehybridizing an Early Girl tomato. I would say to see if I can accomplish this. To see how sharp my observational skills about plants might or might not be. To have a tasty early tomato like early girl so I can grow it and get the same growing results every season which would be size, flavor, and earliness. Can't think of other reasons at the moment.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are all great reasons was curious about your project. Usually people go the other way and try to build on a known quantity. I hope it works for you

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the tomatoes I tried this year is Missouri Love Apple. I guess I only got one plant put in the garden after the label fiasco. The plant only made one tomato. It was a large one, pinkish red, nearly a pound. Built like a beefsteak. It split on the bottom, but it was ripe so we ate it today before the insects could ruin it. It was very good, with an old-fashioned acidic flavor. Nothing sweet about it. Just like I like my tomatoes.
So, although it was really good, I'm not going to invest much time or space in it again. One tomato cost about $3.50, not counting time, organic fertilizer, Epsom salts and work.
The Black Prince (I think) is good, but kind of watery. They are also splitting. It's a little sweeter, but not unpleasantly so.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have purple bumble bees growing in a 5 gallon pot by my porch. they have tons on cherry like striped tomatoes on them but they are just starting to get a light blush. i'll have to check the other tomatoes in the garden but i have seen some with small toms started on them, others are just beginning to bloom. i'll get my list updated of what i got going this year. i had 30 types started this year but not all made it into their places. some just didn't start off being healthy so i didn't take the chance.

BeanieMan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will grow them next season since i had too
many tomatoes to deal with this year.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting pics! This pic looks like a real tomato! I have seen pics of this tomato online and it looks more like a painter's palette than a real tomato. Google Black Sea Man tomato and this is what you get. Hope this picture is showing up, I copied it off the internet.

@aftermidnight is this your first time to grow this tomato and would you grow it again?

th

@aftermidnight, sorry but @baymule's post is a picture of what my Black Sea Man tomato looked like. That painter's palette look almost had me tossing the tomato untasted -- it looked so strange -- the first year I tried growing heirlooms. One bite and I was hooked. My Gypsy did her best to grab the BSM before I had a chance. She loved them.

Is there any chance you have a different variety other than Black Sea Man in your photo?

Latest posts