Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
7" of rain Friday night - S E V E N INCHES - of rain in one night just an hour up the road from me!!! :th We got 3" that same night. :idunno What'cha gonna do? Sloopy, slippery, squishy - but nothing drowned - yet.

Been busy trying to get my building wired and inspected, That has proven to be a cluster....Anyway, time for a garden update. The 2nd planting of yellow squash is up, I need to get another row of Zucchini started. My current plants are holding their own, still producing but slowing down. The pickle bush cucumbers I planted this year have really impressed me, they just keep pouring in. I loaded up on jars for a pickle fest this weekend Lol. I'm really not impressed with the straight eight cucumbers I planted, made a beautiful vine with a ton of blooms, just very little fruit. Could be the bee's I noticed I haven't seen them like I have in years past.
Butternut squash has fruit, I'm liking the size of this bush variety, will definitely try these again next year.
IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

The sugar baby bush watermelons are a tad bit smaller than my squash, an yet they have a few melons.
IMG_0726.JPG

Cantaloupes are starting to really put out, got several that should be ready in a week or so.
IMG_0725.JPG

Cherokee Purples, They are loaded, eat my first one on a ham sammich Saturday...MMMMM
IMG_0729.JPG

Brandy wines....Really good production, birds like them too...Grrrr.
IMG_0730.JPG

Okra.....Cutting at least 10lbs every other day. Going to put some in a jar this weekend. The yellow corn in the background is done, I got maybe 3 bushel off of 8 rows which is not terrible, it didn't get the water when it needed it most, a lot of it never made. If I plant like this next year, I really need to buckle down on the irrigation.
IMG_0732.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would love to read your review of Bush watermelon & butternuts.

Starting to round up all the canning hardware, so far got enough jalapenos to do half a dozen half pint jars, half a dozen half pint banana peppers, more cucumbers than I know what to do with, and plenty of Okra. pulled a few smaller cucumbers to pickle whole, will probably have that many more today when I go check everything. Need to get some more wide mouth quart and pint jars plus new lids for the old jars before we get started. Which reminds me, I got a cooler full of old jars in the barn.

IMG_0737.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Starting to round up all the canning hardware, so far got enough jalapenos to do half a dozen half pint jars, half a dozen half pint banana peppers, more cucumbers than I know what to do with, and plenty of Okra. pulled a few smaller cucumbers to pickle whole, will probably have that many more today when I go check everything. Need to get some more wide mouth quart and pint jars plus new lids for the old jars before we get started. Which reminds me, I got a cooler full of old jars in the barn.

View attachment 27195

could make a crock of traditional pickles. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that one can never have too many JARS! I keep boxes and boxes of lids at all times. LOL

Your garden is gorgeous, as always. All that work pays handsome dividends in the form of the best food anyone could ever have. Great job, good eats, YUM!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that one can never have too many JARS! I keep boxes and boxes of lids at all times. LOL

Your garden is gorgeous, as always. All that work pays handsome dividends in the form of the best food anyone could ever have. Great job, good eats, YUM!

same here, and same with buckets, Mom wants to get rid of extra buckets and jars we have and i'm like, please no, cuz they're going to come in handy sometime and i hate to have to go out and buy more.

some year's i've done a hundred or more pints of things, but the past few years i've not had a very good strawberry crop so i'm about 50 jars extra at the moment. we're already seeing that we're going to have to buy more quart jars. and we haven't even started putting up tomatoes yet...

Ended up being a dozen half pints of jalapenos, and a dozen pints of dill chips. Friday we're going to do pickle spears, Saturday is Okra and Salsa.

IMG_0739.JPG

Latest posts