Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

Man things have been hectic around here. Main garden is doing good, vine borers found my zucchini so will be re-planting another 2 rows this week, they are still producing everyday but starting to yellow. Cucumbers are putting out great, yellow squash is wide open. Yellow corn has tasseled. will be pulling sweet corn next week. Tomatoes, banana peppers, jalapeno's, and bells are doing great, finally picked a few better boys yesterday. Brandywines and Cherokee purples are loaded. Okra has blooms, should start to see pods shortly. The blue lakes I replanted are up, put some masonry cord and ribbon stringers around the sprouts to keep the deer at bay till I get the fence put up. Also sprinkling some coyote urine around the garden, my son used to trap coyotes and had some stashed away. I took the bush hog to the white corn, it made a beautiful stalk, but not 1 ear of corn. I'm planning to disc this in and plant a field full of purple hulls, or Crowder peas.

Heres a shot of yesterdays haul, got more cucumbers coming today, plus some more bells and bananas.
IMG_0653.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your loss and no white corn..

had<thats the operative word> cucumber beatles glad i found them early.......dw has been shown how to mix the neem and apply...

sorry to hear about your loss and no white corn..

had<thats the operative word> cucumber beatles glad i found them early.......dw has been shown how to mix the neem and apply...

Cant say that I've ever seen a cucumber beetle here, got plenty of squash bugs though. I learned last year, its easier just to kill the ones you see, and plan on more than 1 planting. I sprayed and dusted, nothing helped. I will say that as of now I haven't had the issues with them that I did 2 years ago thank the lord, that was awful, wait 5 weeks to get 2 zucchini and they cut the stalk in half.

I may try to plant more white corn but it wont be from this seed stock, I may get some silver King and see what it does, I do love white corn, but growing it in July and August is always iffy for me.

O.k. took inventory yesterday, with this heat we've had, everything is slowing down a little, except for the cucumbers, them things have gone crazy.

Main garden.... if you look hard to the right you can see my flagging around the blue lakes to keep the deer off, so far its working Lol.
IMG_0667.JPG

I had 2 cantaloupe plants survive, even have a few small melons on one.
IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

Saved 2 watermelon plants, these are sugar baby bush variety.
IMG_0669.JPG

2nd planting of butternut squash....
IMG_0668.JPG

Tomatoes, Better boys are loaded. I've been pulling some just to shed some weight.
IMG_0660.JPG

Brandywines....Lots of tomatoes, I got 1 I'm keeping my eye on, its almost perfect.
IMG_0662.JPG

Cherokee purples...Again, lots of fruit.
IMG_0661.JPG

Bell peppers are loaded.
IMG_0664.JPG

Banana peppers, a handful every day.
IMG_0665.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts