Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

Looking good! Have you planted the Southern Curly mustard before? I did one year, and we didn't like it. I now plant Giant Red mustard, but it is purple, not red, go figure.

https://www.rareseeds.com/japanese-giant-red-mustard-greens/

I have, it is pretty strong, Mostly cook it with some type of meat, mostly side or a big ham bone. Its an acquired taste by itself, but with some type of pork its great. Im planning on trying it canned, with bacon, guy said it was awesome.

I don't think I've eaten collards before. I do love any root veggie and sometimes will cook up their leaves.

I like Turnip greens, not so much the root, my wife likes both, some in the family like one or the other so nothing goes to waste.

Fall garden coming along nicely. I didn't plant much, 4 rows of purple top turnips, 2 rows of Morris heading Collards, 2 rows of Southern giant curly top mustard greens. We have already cut the mustard greens twice, and it bounds back in no time. Rain has set in for this week, hoping the collards get a little bigger before thanksgiving, if not I'll have plenty by Christmas and New years.

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

Well the Collard crop didn't go as well as I thought it would. Rain is usually always a good thing when gardening, but Im a firm believer now that there is a such thing as to much rain. I think most of my collards started to get root rot. Its been very, very wet here since September. I couldn't get a tractor in the garden now if I tried. The wife and I decided to cut our losses before It got to cold and burned the leaves, and harvest what we had and try to break even. We did, but barely. This is both fields we had of collards, if I had to guess its probably 200 plants. Sold the entire truck load in 1 afternoon, nobody around here has them, and the ones that do are full of bugs. Our plants although considerably smaller than last year, were beautiful, no holes, no bugs, very nice. We put rubber bands around 2 plants and were asking 5$ a bundle, and they flew off the truck. Everything else in the garden is done. Im going to bring some more hay bails home this week and begin rolling them out in the main garden, and start applying lime and what ever else I need to amend the soil for next year. Im planning to expand the big garden for next year, depends on when I can get some equipment in there to do some work, like I said it is very, very wet and nasty right now.
IMG_1441.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good that you had a healthy crop and happy customers! Nothing like wading around in mud to harvest, eh?

I've not much experience with that in years on this gravel but I can remember as a kid ... (and, the big mistake trying to take a shortcut through the neighbor's orchard to get to the school bus stop!)

I'm afraid I misled my elderly, deaf neighbor. She was telling me how her "Brussels sprouts" were not developing buds and she has little hope for them. I can see them over the fence. They are the Portuguese kale we gave her in the spring. Not Brussels sprouts!

I had thought that her son, the chef, would know about Portuguese kale soup but that couldn't translate to knowing about the plants growing in his Mom's garden. She figured out the other kales and got the cabbage. I'm a bigger fan of Portuguese kale the all of these but must not have made it clear what the plant starts were ... @Gardening with Rabbits grows collards but that kale might just be my northern substitute.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has rained here for 3 months. We get a few days of no rain, a day of sunshine, then it starts again.

Latest posts