Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes cooking collards is a art form..done right they are delicious, will take mine with rough mashed potatoes,smoked turkey,rolls and of course gravy... pie and ice cream after a good zzzzzzzz snore zzzzz snore zzzzzzzz drool zzzzzzzz snore zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collards = good.

Kale = cardboard.

ah! i see, i made a mistake there... oops. mea culpa...

never had collards before. knowing Mom i doubt she'd ever try them as you described (smoked items usually don't work for her) but i'd give 'em a shot. :)

Well Florence did a number on my young Collard starts. I had to replant a bunch, along with some Bok Chio, Bolder Beets, and Lettuce seeds Major sent me. Also got some Radish's, Mustard greens, and Turnips planted. Once everything pops up, I'll get some pics posted. Got all the old tomatoes and pepper plants pulled. I think I'm going to roll out a big round hay bale in this area, pile it up real good and let it do its thing over the winter, hopefully come spring this soil will be ready to go.

Well everything is up, that's coming up.....Major your Bok Choi seed had 100% germination rate, I think I'm going to have to thin some of it. The bolder beets are trying, I've got several sprouts of it, the lettuce, I think this little heat wave was more than it could handle. I went back through and replaced them with some radish seeds I had.
Collards are looking good, Mustard greens are doing great, Turnips.....got a butt load of um!
I started putting the tomato/pepper garden to bed for the year, I hauled a round bale of recent cut hay home to roll out in the area, may get 1 more and put on top of this. I plan to let that winter over, hopefully help the soil some next year.

First field of Georgia Collards......
IMG_1078.JPG

Turnips......
IMG_1079.JPG

Morris heading Collards.....
IMG_1080.JPG

Southern Curly Top Mustard greens......
IMG_1081.JPG

The start of many big ripe tomatoes and peppers Lol.....
IMG_1086.JPG

Latest posts