Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

Yep that ole tractor got a work out last couple of days. Dropped a front wheel bearing right In the middle of the plowed field, had to get everything jacked up in loose soil, no fun at all. 40$ worth of new bearings, she's ready for another 70 years Lol.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep that ole tractor got a work out last couple of days. Dropped a front wheel bearing right In the middle of the plowed field, had to get everything jacked up in loose soil, no fun at all. 40$ worth of new bearings, she's ready for another 70 years Lol.
Bigger gardens require bigger toys er tractors since shovels would take months to accomplish. :thumbsup

Local seed/plant farm. They sell a lot of Collards, broccoli, cabbage, most all cool season plants. Good thing is you can pre-order and they'll have it ready, we didn't but they went right out and pulled the starts we wanted while we watched. They were boxing up orders while we were there, I bet they pulled 10,000 and boxed them up just In the short time we spent there.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Local seed/plant farm. They sell a lot of Collards, broccoli, cabbage, most all cool season plants. Good thing is you can pre-order and they'll have it ready, we didn't but they went right out and pulled the starts we wanted while we watched. They were boxing up orders while we were there, I bet they pulled 10,000 and boxed them up just In the short time we spent there.
Wow, do they also sell just a couple?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to ask.....why so many collard sets? Are you going to sell some? Collards can last and grow for several years before bolting and going to seed. At our old house, I had some that were 4years old.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, they'll sell you what ever you want.

Bay, I found out last year I could sell all the collards I could plant between thanksgiving and new years. I have people already wanting to put orders in for the week of thanksgiving, I wasn't prepared for that last year, but I will be this year Lol.

@seedcorn says you should have gone and got cardboard from the big box stores and passed that off. a bit of food safe green food color and you'd be set? j/k, but as of yet i've just not been able to develop a taste for it. perhaps i've never had it fresh enough. the dried or fried versions i think are ok. breaded and deep fried? perhaps those would be ok too. :)

good luck @Lickbranchfarm it does sound like you have a nice system going there for you. :)

somehow i forgot to ask the obvious questions:

deer and groundhogs don't eat it? no fence needed? :) :) :)

@seedcorn says you should have gone and got cardboard from the big box stores and passed that off. a bit of food safe green food color and you'd be set? j/k, but as of yet i've just not been able to develop a taste for it. perhaps i've never had it fresh enough. the dried or fried versions i think are ok. breaded and deep fried? perhaps those would be ok too. :)

good luck @Lickbranchfarm it does sound like you have a nice system going there for you. :)

somehow i forgot to ask the obvious questions:

deer and groundhogs don't eat it? no fence needed? :) :) :)

Nope deer wont touch it! Rabbits might munch on it, but they don't eat a lot.

Not sure how it was cooked when you tried it but cooking collards is an art form, ask any southerner. I have had some that wasn't fit to eat, and some that were outstanding. My grandmother taught my wife how she cooked them, and my wife taught my daughter so the family recipe is safe for some time now, but the way the girls in my family cook them is awesome, everybody enjoys them.

Couple a good mess of collards with a smoked pork tenderloin, fat back, and homemade biscuits. Instant Naptime!