Like to Post Pix of Your Babies?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, 59F and warmest day of the year, yesterday . . . of course, there were 35mph wind gusts and horizontal rain - just in case we might have thought it WASN'T April Fools Day!

This year, the hot peppers are old standards for me: Super Chili, Jalapeno M, Garden Salsa and these little demons, Thai Hots! Just imagine how difficult it was for me to move these tiny things into a flat yesterday!

DSC00007.JPG

I've grown Peto Wonders and Park Whopper bell peppers forever! Last year, my usual sources didn't carry either one - Park doesn't even offer their own Whopper peppers anymore! Thankfully, Snapper came to my rescue!

A big find for me was Fushimi Sweets in 2009. Something went wrong with these skinny little sweet peppers in 2010, however. They started off hot and tho' they cooled off late in the season, they were never what I would call "sweet."

This year, I'm trying a couple more bells to go with my favorite Giant Marconi Italian Sweet and the Snappers. I'm real pleased how these started off -- Vivaldi close to the camera and Big Early in the back (Taking a Chance on Love ;))

Here is the rest of the gang! I have big hopes for Yummy but they didn't make such a promising start . . .

DSC00004.JPG

There's still some King of the North bells to move into flats. Those are real consistent but I'm not growing them for me this year. Taking a chance with these other sweets. Ah well, that's what life is all about ;).

digitS'

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, your pepper plants are looking good and healthy. Yours must be a week or so ahead of ours. We are growing California wonder bell peppers hoping for enough warm weather to get some this season.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Tawny Ports right there in the middle of the gang. Mostly, I'm apprehensive about this odd-colored bell. It would be nice to have peppers mature beyond green in my garden and I feel I'm cheating with one that is supposed to start off odd-colored :rolleyes:. Nothing good may come of it . . .

Peppers in my greenhouse are mighty slow growing. Along with snapdragons, they are the 1st things I plant (after the onions which will go in soil, whenever ;)).

I can't provide them with the heat the peppers really want or something like the tomatoes will get completely out of hand. Besides, there has to be some kind of cost/benefit fuel analysis to that.

So, they grow slowly under our usual overcast skies since Seattle weather washes 100's of miles inland during this season. (The 4 Seasons of Seattle Weather - click)

Yes, nutrients will need to be replenished in time. I prefer to use fish emulsion which seems to work fine for the tomatoes but doesn't for the peppers. I use it essentially as a foliar fertilizer and tomatoes seem to have the foliage best suited for fish emulsion. The peppers will get the same dry organic fertilizer I use in the garden -- hopefully, during the hardening-off time when they can be outdoors most of the time.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your peppers are beautiful Steve!
My sweet peppers finally came up, but the hot ones are really taking their time. I saw a tiny sprout this a.m. in one of the pots. I have them on a light box I put together for bottom heat, once they're up do you think it would benefit them to keep them on it for the soil warmth? The others that have been up for a week are just out with the other babies in the window, but growing slowly. Our house is pretty cool, usually into the high 50's at night and never more than 70 during the day, unless we get a lot of sunshine.
I think I should have started them earlier...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Commercial greenhouses often figure their crop shipping date based on a 16-hour day. Then they do an X number of days at an average temperature of 62F, Y days at 64, Z days at 66, etc.

I can't do anything like that; starting with no supplemental lighting/no 16-hour day.

What I try to understand is that an average temperature of 66 is considered a "warm" greenhouse. Maybe it averages at something like 72 for 16 hours and 62 for 8 hours.

Generally, my greenhouse has too little light utilizing only natural sunlight. It certainly can heat up if the sun comes out and I've got to pay close attention to that. But, I see no problem with running the furnace at 60 overnight . . . which probably means a good 15 or 16 hours of 60 even when the sun shines on these early spring days.

That's taking the long way to saying: "I really don't know, Thistle'." Your home environment sounds about right if the peppers have adequate light. Usually, house temps are just TOO WARM compared to the amount of light that is available. Humans must be related to orchids, or tropical somethings!

Steve ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Humans must be related to orchids, or tropical somethings!

Steve ;)
Well at least us females! My DH walks around in shirtsleeves, while I'm tucked into a few layers, one of which includes something wool!

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
digitS' said:
Humans must be related to orchids, or tropical somethings!

Steve ;)
Well at least us females! My DH walks around in shirtsleeves, while I'm tucked into a few layers, one of which includes something wool!
Same here! I always have to have more blankets on my side of the bed!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost the only babies out there.

DSC00035.JPG

Nufar Genovese basil

The others are lanky teenagers. If we can ever get some warmth so that they can all go outdoors maybe I'll get them toughened up, conditioned for the world beyond their mamby-pamby little digs, put some meat on their bones!

(no music link to the picture . . . too sleepy, got my blanky and pj's. after some warm milk will trundle off to bed . . . nite, nite.)

Steve

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So far, we have had our black radishes and iceburg lettuce come up:

April2011050.jpg

And the peas, which we planted in toilet paper tubes:

April2011051.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radish, Calendula?!

Well, I suppose that if it something special like Black Radish . . .

Out there with the other plants is my kohlrabi ;). The kohlrabi plants could probably go into the open garden but they might benefit from another day or 2 of babying.

Steve

PS: is that ka-len-ja-la or kal-en-du-la, Calendula? :cool:

Latest posts