Loofa Instructions

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I keep posting this question .. ... but when you make the soap with your loofa.. are you using a cold process soap? Or a melt and pour?

I make soap using cold process.. i could pour some over the loofa (hopefully mine will grow) and then let it cure.. has anyone done this?
smom1976 - do an internet search for loofa soap. There are tons of instructions out there for different processes. Most of what I have looked at have been melt and pour but there are probably some cold process instructions as well.

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
denimangle said:
I am going to save the seeds from at least some of the loofa & Bird house gourds for next year or maybe to sell/trade at my flea market booth.
What do you do with your Loofas?
Im thinking about slicing and making soap with loofa on the soap. Then selling at market.

Cheryl
I have done a little leg work this morning checking on the cross pollination issues. Everything I read says 1000 ft to 1/4 mile apart.

I use my loofas for my own personal use and give them to anyone who wants one. Most just look good hanging on the vine and go to the garbage before the seed fall out. I save 10 to 20 to cut up and use in my kitchen and bath.

I may try my hand at some melt and pour soap this year. But it really depends on the amount of time I have.

I can't remember if we have tried eating any yet or not. Probably did at some point but we are usually really lazy where they are concerned and let them get to big to eat.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2dream said:
denimangle said:
I am going to save the seeds from at least some of the loofa & Bird house gourds for next year or maybe to sell/trade at my flea market booth.
Im thinking about slicing and making soap with loofa on the soap. Then selling at market.

Cheryl
I have done a little leg work this morning checking on the cross pollination issues. Everything I read says 1000 ft to 1/4 mile apart.

Jeez! I'll have to lease ground from the neighbor! lol

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
yep - 20 ft. seems to be working for me so far to avoid cross pollination. It sure sounds better than having to lease. LOL

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I keep posting this question .. ... but when you make the soap with your loofa.. are you using a cold process soap? Or a melt and pour?
smom... I found a link with photos and step by step instructions....

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/ss/loofahsoap.htm

and here is a link to use variations... that show you a couple of variations with which to use your loofahs...

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/meltandpoursoapmaking/ss/loofahvariation.htm?once=true&

I might try this myself... if I get a good crop of loofahs in the garden.. This thread is so exciting!

denimangle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
2dream said:
denimangle said:

Cheryl

I use my loofas for my own personal use and give them to anyone who wants one. Most just look good hanging on the vine and go to the garbage before the seed fall out. I save 10 to 20 to cut up and use in my kitchen and bath.

I may try my hand at some melt and pour soap this year. But it really depends on the amount of time I have.

I can't remember if we have tried eating any yet or not. Probably did at some point but we are usually really lazy where they are concerned and let them get to big to eat.
WOW thanks for your legwork .. mine is just going to have to deal with the cross pollination issues:tools:watering
thanks again
Cheryl

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2dream said:
yep - 20 ft. seems to be working for me so far to avoid cross pollination. It sure sounds better than having to lease. LOL
Luffas won't cross with cukes, zukes, or winter squash, or even other gourds cuz they're all in different families.

But leasing more land would give you room to grow so much more of everything... ;)

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
well that explains why I have never had a cross pollination problem. LOL Guess in all my checking to see how far plants need to planted apart to avoid it, I should have checked 1st to see if it was even possible between those particular plants.

Thanks kellygirrl

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Athena said:
smom1976 said:
smom... I found a link with photos and step by step instructions....

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/ss/loofahsoap.htm

and here is a link to use variations... that show you a couple of variations with which to use your loofahs...

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/meltandpoursoapmaking/ss/loofahvariation.htm?once=true&

I might try this myself... if I get a good crop of loofahs in the garden.. This thread is so exciting!
Thanks so much for the link! That tells me about everything we will need to know. :)

denimangle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
kellygirrl said:
2dream said:
Luffas won't cross with cukes, zukes, or winter squash, or even other gourds cuz they're all in different families.

But leasing more land would give you room to grow so much more of everything... ;)
THANK YOU!!!
My DH was getting worried .. thought he was going to have to clear more land :lol:
Cheryl

Latest posts