majors 2016 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
decided to pick the rest of the melons that slipped off the stem still tossed 3, might try do another small planting of them but on the other hand might do a mass planting of corn.....oh decisions decisions

just so you know the diplomat melon has a wonderful pear taste worthy of a spot in anyone's garden....

yes @Nyboy the wife and i talked about doing that next season..

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmer here does it with sweet corn. Charges $2.50/dozen. Lucky if he averages $1/dozen. People destroy a decent amount peeling and tossing back. Plus the thieves....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmer here does it with sweet corn. Charges $2.50/dozen. Lucky if he averages $1/dozen. People destroy a decent amount peeling and tossing back. Plus the thieves....

That's one of my pet peeves...people who peel corn shucks down then just throw them back on the pile. What in the world are they looking for? I don't even think they know.
If it was 5 bucks an ear I can see wanting perfect ones, but when they are so cheap just take what you get and be surprised at home.

I spoke up once to a lady that was doing that next to me at the corn display. She took offense. Haha.
I just asked her what she was expecting to find. :hu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
the diplomat melon has a wonderful pear taste worthy of a spot in anyone's garden....
That's a good way to describe the flavor.

I didn't lose a one, to the cold and wind a couple weeks ago. It really isn't a surprise that the watermelon plants nearly all died. That sort of thing has happened several times before. I was, however, a little surprised that the Diplomat came to a dead stop.

I never lost a Passport melon during the years I grew them, even when the cantaloupe all died. It might be that Passport is a little hardier to cold than their sister Galia melon, Diplomat. It's only my second year with Diplomats.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
update 7/10/16
top... picked and pulled the bush beans they where starting to have rust... 4 more melons
below.. 3 buckets of fortex beans and a bucket of eggplant and a bean thief
DSC_0001.JPG

dw picked down the basil and cucumbers.
DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

and yes we also have a drawer full in the fridge as well.....

Latest posts