majors 2016 garden..

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's an awesome harvest.
Your melons look so good, I can almost smell them. I bought a cantaloupe at the market the other day, it smelled good, couldn't wait to get it home. It didn't live up to my expectations, hard and not very sweet. :(

Glad you're weather is drying out and you got some time to put your feet up.:)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
a good friend just left with bags of beans<all types>, eggplant<all types>, cucumbers, melons<extra melons for his dad>, mators <all types>..
he asked , all i could was no ..you helped me out relaying parts to me every weekend to the house when i was up in conover... one hand washes the other.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's an awesome harvest.
Your melons look so good, I can almost smell them. I bought a cantaloupe at the market the other day, it smelled good, couldn't wait to get it home. It didn't live up to my expectations, hard and not very sweet. :(

Glad you're weather is drying out and you got some time to put your feet up.:)

not getting to happy the weather is going to compost in the next couple days again..

now thats just sad a great smelling melon, once home it's :idunno ....that should be a crime......

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good way to describe the flavor.

I didn't lose a one, to the cold and wind a couple weeks ago. It really isn't a surprise that the watermelon plants nearly all died. That sort of thing has happened several times before. I was, however, a little surprised that the Diplomat came to a dead stop.

I never lost a Passport melon during the years I grew them, even when the cantaloupe all died. It might be that Passport is a little hardier to cold than their sister Galia melon, Diplomat. It's only my second year with Diplomats.

Steve

after work today walked around the diplomats tossed one picked the last 3, never nice melons but when they come on they come all at once. did not see any new melons lots of flowers. but like you said steve they came to a dead stop..bam. had to look back and see how many was started. total of 10 so out of those 10 they produced about 40 melons all ripened in a 5 day period... was able to save 25 of them due to rain..

so yes i will plant a few next season but will keep looking for new melons to try between now and then...
going to pull all of the vines up tomorrow after work and hopefully by Saturday plant 250 ..SWEET CORN

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
need to make a correction .. found those 3 diplomat melons this after getting home.. and found 3 ripe ones hidden by the leaves .
DSC_0010.JPG

bzzzz to late decided to yank them up and plant corn, was going to pull this afternoon but a storm was coming, figured whats a day delay...

did notice that the crowder peas had every bug that either bites or stings flying around them. that has me bewildered
DSC_0015.JPG

and one that was a wonderful green, do not know what it is...<no not the fly>
DSC_0013.JPG

but the crowders are starting to really fill out, with a few hit and miss ripening
DSC_0019.JPG

then there was the 3rd wave of jb on the fortex beans... they be removed if you get my drift
DSC_0017.JPG

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've not seen nearly as many Japanese beetles this year as we had last. Just a few. Been going after them with the soapy water in a bucket.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
guess pole beans are a good trap for them, thats the only place they are congregating at ...
now back when i was growing blackberries it was a 10 fold infestation of them plus june bugs.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Last year I finally identified what was happening to the leaves on a Camperdown elm. Gave it the exact treatment as they recommend (Imidicloprid systemic drench) and this year it's very healthy looking.
I wonder what you're supposed to do with edibles?

Latest posts