majors 2016 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
7/30/16 update.
found the first orange seedless watermelon.
DSC_0002.JPG

sure there are more but this year the weeds are winning.
DSC_0005.JPG

the bed area just ya jumping...
DSC_0008.JPG

the main garden.....ye
p even in there the weeds are winning.
this morning took the netting off the corn and fertilizer, shooting for a mid September picking.
on the right the fortex beans are still producing but slow, letting some of them dry out for seed next year..
DSC_0009.JPG

dw picked down all the mariana mators. they are so sad looking this year well all the mators are except the cherry one..go figure
DSC_0012.JPG

heres something odd usually the cucumbers have succumb to something and died by now, but still picked a dozen yesterday...but they are starting to show signs of the end..
DSC_0013.JPG
the brandy wine and orange pixie mators still hanging in there.
DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG
dw is going to dry more of the brandy and orange, both of those are like a piece of candy once they are dried.. yum
the blue berry cherry mators are Delicious
DSC_0015.JPG

and for you @Nyboy the yankees.....
DSC_0011.JPG

and yes going to hide inside for the rest of the day except to take a dip in the pool

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite melons, Crenshaw! I used to stop in Umatilla a few hundred miles to the south to buy one at a fruit stand during my regular trips through Oregon. I'm just missing a good melon growing by a few hundred miles!

The Yellow Doll watermelon plants aren't making much of a recovery ... I just went back to this post on Blacktail Mountain watermelon from next week, 2 years ago (LINK). I wanted to see where things were/when on that melon fail. The Yellow Doll aren't as far along. Hopeless!

I'm pleased with the Goddess Cantaloupe :). Barring some kind of horrible disaster those vines should mature melons this season (for the 3rd time, I think :). I really don't know about the Galia melons. Diplomat did fine in 2015 but June weather must have really shaken it to the roots! If it fails, it will be the first time I haven't harvested Galia melons in about 10 years. Have to get back to the Passport variety.

Oh melons ... I could just imagine myself growing only them! And, a little sweetcorn! Those healthful greens!? And, green beans! What about the tomatoes? Who will maintain my new varieties?

:) Steve!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who will maintain your new varieties? Going somewhere?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Daddy's mother was a Crenshaw before she married. When I saw the name Crenshaw, I just had to try it! If it is one of your favorite melons, then it has to be good!