majors 2016 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
went to lowes this morning and purchased a bag of 17-17-17 and gypsum, hoed that in between all the rows in the raised bed area, those gum tree root really zapped the soil in them. it has been a really bad fall season in them, should have already been picking lettuce, beets and kale. nope looks like i planted them just a couple weeks ago... really really hope this gives them a kick before it starts getting cold...

since it was a nice day decided to pressure wash all the stakes,soaker hoses and cages, got it all set up noticed that the 15* tip was missing looked around the barn nowhere to be found probably in @Nyboy closet. so dw and drove down to tractor supply to get one. of course it has to national parking lot sealing day. that was a cluster ^%$#.got to food lion yup half the lot was being sealed as well..

turned into the driveway there sits 3 sheriff cars and a silver toyota what the ? they cornered a couple meth heads who have been robing homes in the area. so after sitting in the driveway for 15 mins was able to get by them..and yes had to prove to the deputy that we lived at the end of the road..... love when the crooks get caught ....

told the dw and the kids to double check the house before you leave that all the doors are locked... guess it's time to wire the barn as well...

anyway got all my choirs done for the weekend will start putting everything away during the week...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the deputy said that they were called to a break in a couple roads down from here, they were trying to get away and he saw them turning into the driveway , so got trapped.. so no we were not a target...but still going to improve the barn doors ....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bolted out of bed at 2am about a week ago! That is, I got up as quickly as I could ...

There was a faint blue light flashing somewhere in the house, off a wall. It took quite awhile before figured out which window to look out of and at what extreme angle to catch sight of the flashing lights on a police car about 80 yards away.

He or she had that intensely bright spot light trained down the road in the opposite direction and another officer shining a light back from about 200-300 yards away. I couldn't see all that until I walked out into the road.

There had been a shooting. Some guy decided he would try to kill his ex-girlfriend, or scare her out of her life ... he drove away, leaving his car in my neighborhood. The police didn't find him near his car but they did find him fairly quickly. I wonder what the idiot did with his gun.

I have almost zero security on my garage - a door lock. But, the (garden) tools to jimmy the door sit right beside it, in the carport. I bet I could have that door open in under a minute ...

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
10/23/16 update....
this morning we had a light frost...this will be the last 30's according to the 10 day will be back to the upper 40's at night and upper 60's during the day, with minimal chance of rain...
overall view ..
DSC_0005.JPG

kale 3 types
DSC_0019.JPG

spinach
DSC_0020.JPG

1st and 2nd planting of beets
DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

bok choi and chicory with lettuce in the middle
DSC_0024.JPG

lettuce...
DSC_0022.JPG

the oregano..before and after a trim. will trim more after this cutting are done in the dryer
DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

and the peas..
DSC_0007.JPG

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, my son woke up to gunfire last weekend; the neighbors had an invasion and 3 people got shot. It is a drug house, always cars stopping for a few minutes out front, all day and night. The people renting the house finally got evicted after this shooting. :yaThe first one there was about a year ago. I think the landlord was afraid the city would come after him.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
part 2
my volunteer blueberry tomato plant in the main garden..
DSC_0013.JPG

another week and will be picking the last of the acorn squash
DSC_0011.JPG

picked the last green mators from the orphans.. will have to portion them out when dw frys them so everyone gets a taste...
DSC_0001.JPG

and whats a update without the carrots
DSC_0017.JPG

the red crimson clover is coming up nicely...
DSC_0003.JPG
the main garden is 1925 sqft.... read that you should seed appx 2 lbs in this size of an area, ok.. you know me. if 2 lbs is good why not put down 20 lbs, yes thats what i put down....
lets do some fun math...:pop

a acre is........ 43,560 sqft
main garden is.. 1,925 sqft
for 1 acre it's recommended to seed 20 lbs, at that rate the nitrogen fixation is 200 lbs per ac.
since the main garden is 22.5 th of an acre and i put down 20 lbs...

holly cow thats roughly 4500 lbs of nitrogen fixation in there..
you got to love a little over kill now and then...:lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts