majors 2018 garden..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
8/5/18 update....... some good some bad...
after receiving over 11" of rain in less than a week.only a few things enjoyed the rest will be tossed.

the winners..
bells peppers everyone is loaded with either green or red..
View attachment 27782
View attachment 27783
highlanders..some of the biggest have seen in august..will pick,roast and freeze them.
View attachment 27784
the corn... jumped a mile...
View attachment 27785
the gourds....
View attachment 27786

the mators are the big losers.. either split,cracked or molding.. but theres hope for the greens ones..
View attachment 27787 View attachment 27788 View attachment 27789 View attachment 27790 View attachment 27791
once the dew has evaporated will be going out pick whats good,pick the spoiled and toss, pull 2 terminally infected plants..

seen powdery mildew, blight, blossom rot, white mold. so will be spraying all the plants....

time for tomato wine! sorry major it hurts to see such loss/damage. i had a season like that where i was burying hundreds of lbs of tomatoes from buckeye rot.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
update 8/5/18 part 2...
ended up throwing out 12 gallons of mators, salvaged 5 gallons and 5 cucumbers plus a handful of asian bell peppers.
taking this to work in the morning......
IMG_2380[1].JPG

pulled the russian beauties, brandywine, 1 mariana and all the cucumbers.. those russians had a very serious root system..
IMG_2381[1].JPG
IMG_2382[1].JPG

before spraying picked a nice bucket full of bell peppers and highlanders..
IMG_2379[1].JPG

mixed up 15 gallons of copper sulfate and calcium, went to town spraying the mators,bells and gourds....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
a fast way to do it is to take an old pillow cases, put them in there and then walk on them or mash them somehow to release them. then you can skim off the pods from the top leaving mostly beans in the bottom. if you have a fan you can blow the chaff off the bottom that remains by dropping it all gradually in front of the fan.

i only shell one at a time things when i have a lot of time in fall/winter. for the bulk beans i go with the pillow case method. oh, and i don't do this in the house either, as it can be dusty.

funny you mentioned that, i did the exact thing for the orca beans, differently a outdoor job....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have pepper envy Major. Mine are little dwarfish items, they're producing peppers, but they are barely tall enough to hold them off the soil.

Fun? :confused:
I would never be able to finish it wearing that white jacket with the oversized sleeves on.

the royal dungeon guard says your having a mental block on writing your autobiography, so yes won't send you the puzzle for christmas.
oh once again proof your a true redhead.... :lol:
10342679-a-mad-girl-wearing-a-straight-jacket-in-front-of-a-typewriter.jpg

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major: you mailed me some Wes tomatoes. Mine were puny, even after replanted two of them. But I always share my bounty, and look what a friend now has with his Wes tomato:
WRc2eFt.jpg

dang congrats, they never did that for me.....once again some mators just grow better out west....

Latest posts