majors 2018 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tells us more about dehydrated melons I have a client just getting into dehydrating for her dogs of course

dehydrated melons......
IMG_2385[1].JPG

watermelon...left cantaloupe..right
for watermelon would recommend a variety such as sugar baby, crimson sweet or any really sweet type. this year was blacktail mountain thanks to @thistlebloom, they were sweet on a scale 1 to 5 they were a 3.9 good flesh,firm, seeds in a nice compact ring unlike others that are everywhere.. dw put slices of about 1/2" think on the trays took about 24 hours to dry on low. has a okay flavor a nice after taste of watermelon, this is our first time drying them so i'm on a learning curve..

for the cantaloupe would recommend using french "charentais" we have been growing "escorial " or "galia" "diplomat" both are a very sweet and aromatic you know when you walk out to the garden they are ready to pick.
on a scale of 1 to 5
escorial 5
diplomat 4.8
dw sliced them about 3/8" in the drier again for about 24 hours on low.... both are like putting a piece of honeycomb in your mouth..

for the texture of both dried ,it's like a fruit rollup with no chemicals, just a lot stickier for animals would only give the cantaloupe in modulation due to it's high sugar content... for us humans dont eat alot before going to bed...sugar+bedtime = no sleep it's like taking a handful of b vitamins..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
8/11/18 update...enough was enough hated to it but kicked out the lazy house wife this morning...
IMG_2399.JPG

and pulled all the weeds, little touch up work ,then put up the pea fencing.....

since i was dripping from both sides, kicked out the ideho visitors...
IMG_2396.JPG

couple of the visitors were soft so did the gallagher toss .... splat....... did save two
IMG_2397.JPG

the 2nd round of corn is doing quite well,couple are ready, might have steak and corn this weekend.. never did get the 3rd round in..
IMG_2395.JPG

bell peppers are still producing some nice size for this late in the season...
IMG_2391.JPG

mators are well on their way out... at least we are going to have some fried green mators before i pull them...
IMG_2389.JPG

what a pathetic year for green greens, notta worth while.. but it did make a great privacy fence...
IMG_2392.JPG

very impressed with the birdhouse gourds....
IMG_2400.JPG

dw picked up some starter soil this morning going to get going on the winter squash shortly...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised our birdhouse gourds aren't running across the ground, keeping you from cutting that grass. As much as I try to train them to the trellis and even prune a few I usually wind up with a mess on the ground. Of course you may not be showing all of it.