majors 2018 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
all that corn that the dw picked shucked blanched and froze turned into 8 bags of 3 cups each...yum
corn.jpg

plus she dehydrated some for soups along with the rest of the green onions..
corn and onion.jpg
thursday she canned up some green mators...
6 qt mators.jpg

we are going through all the pickle mator recipes to see which ones we want to try..

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, what is your climate there right now? Do you have any moisture in the mornings? I don't think I could do a second planting. Our mornings are already misty even though our day warms after 10am. My butternut has a lot of powdery mildew but I'm just waiting for the squash to ripen.

One of the things that I need to work on is knowing what to plant right away after I've pulled something out.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, what is your climate there right now? Do you have any moisture in the mornings? I don't think I could do a second planting. Our mornings are already misty even though our day warms after 10am. My butternut has a lot of powdery mildew but I'm just waiting for the squash to ripen.

One of the things that I need to work on is knowing what to plant right away after I've pulled something out.

Mary

I'm giving that a lot of thought right now as I plan but it will probably entail a lot of trial and error on my part. One advantage of planting something else right after is that it helps keep weeds and grass from getting out of control, especially in areas as big as Major uses. Heavy mulching can have the same effect. In Arkansas my early spring planting was in areas where there was still a lot of mulch from the previous year over winter as that was the easiest to get ready to plant. No weeds and especially grass to contend with.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary for the last week it has been nice 80"s nights in the mid 60's humidity in the low 60% since we have springs on the property we still get heavy dew every morning.. first part of next week going to have a mini heat wave, after that looks like fall is in the air...yeah it has been a hot and humid summer, there were days you walk out the door and it feels like someone slapped you across the face with a hot wet towel...

planning on taking a 4 day weekend, pull everything thats done and amend and start planting the fall garden.

yup powdery mildew is a problem here,will just have to keep up on the copper...

Latest posts