majors 2018 garden..

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm giving that a lot of thought right now as I plan but it will probably entail a lot of trial and error on my part. One advantage of planting something else right after is that it helps keep weeds and grass from getting out of control, especially in areas as big as Major uses. Heavy mulching can have the same effect. In Arkansas my early spring planting was in areas where there was still a lot of mulch from the previous year over winter as that was the easiest to get ready to plant. No weeds and especially grass to contend with.
See if there is a local garden club. Locals can be a big help with trials and errors

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
80* days and 60* nights sounds like heaven to me right now......as ol' Baymule shuffles off to the AC control......98* outside.....nighttime ain't no better.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
would say in spring time..plant
lettuces,beets,radishes,kale

once it warms up bush beens, once their done plant corn, in the outside row of the corn plant lettuce good shade for some butterhead.... once it cools down plant a fall garden...squash peas.etc

then of course in the winter amend the soil .greensand every 2 years, composted leaf mulch, calcium for your ph or gypsum of your ph is on the mark....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
80* days and 60* nights sounds like heaven to me right now......as ol' Baymule shuffles off to the AC control......98* outside.....nighttime ain't no better.

when living in texas everything is big including the heat..sorry
they where off by 6* it's 89 heat index 93* thank goodness for my 7 mph a/c mower

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Current conditions:

temp - 88
dew point - 79
Fells like - 103

Temperature isn't ridiculous, it often isn't down here with all the water around. Nothing like Bay's 98, 98 would probably be a record here. It's surprising how much water mitigates the heat. It was often hotter than this in Arkansas. But in Arkaansas a dew point in the lower 60's was considered humid. Here a dew point in the lower 60's is considered pleasant.

I just finished taking the grass off my third future raised bed location with a mattock. I have a changing station in the outside workshop where I can towel off and change clothes before I come inside. I track in a lot less dirt that way.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Current conditions:

temp - 88
dew point - 79
Fells like - 103

Temperature isn't ridiculous, it often isn't down here with all the water around. Nothing like Bay's 98, 98 would probably be a record here. It's surprising how much water mitigates the heat. It was often hotter than this in Arkansas. But in Arkaansas a dew point in the lower 60's was considered humid. Here a dew point in the lower 60's is considered pleasant.

I just finished taking the grass off my third future raised bed location with a mattock. I have a changing station in the outside workshop where I can towel off and change clothes before I come inside. I track in a lot less dirt that way.
See any wild alligators ?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Current conditions:

temp - 88
dew point - 79
Fells like - 103

In our heat and humidity, that wouldn't be a bad idea....along with an outside shower. LOL

Latest posts